We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security in Legian

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Security in Legian

Hi all. I'm looking to rent a private villa in Legian next easter. It's just off the main shopping district but is apparently an oasis of calm and quiet. It's down the end of a lane. Just wondering how safe it is to walk around and come home at night. We are travelling with 7 year old twins. All reviews on TA for this villa are excellent but no one mentions the walk home at night and whether it is safe. I know nothing about the region so just wanted some advice.

Thanks, Collie

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Security in Legian

I would say that if the previous people staying at the villa didnt mention that they felt unsafe walking home, then I wouldnt think it would be an issue.

Maybe you can tell us which villa it is, and you may get more responses.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
857 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Security in Legian

i am the biggest chicken i know and feel safe walking around Legian. This last trip i often left hubby on his own and went walking. Even went to some shops and spas down little lanes. only area i get a little worried is the "dead" section of padma utara just past 3 brothers in, as late at night it is very quiet and whilst i have never seen or heard first hand of problems you do read about some.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Security in Legian

Personally, I do not recommend you to walk in the nights with those beautiful twins. Accident doesn't come by telling you, you have to be aware of that yourself before anything wrong goes!

Fairlie, New Zealand
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Security in Legian

Which villa is it? We are in villa de daun in Legian.We also go through an alley,but it is well lit and there is security there as well.Hope this helps.

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Security in Legian

"The main shopping district" covers a few kilometres.

There have been a few incidents around the northern part of Padma Utara recently and I am nervousat night in the dogleg area between MBR and Jl Padma

Perth
Level Contributor
387 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Security in Legian

Are you guys talking about the section of Jl Padma Ultra out the back of Padma Hotel??

I am starting to get a bit worried as we will be there for a week in Oct with our 3 kids and have never been up this way before, only did Tuban and Sanur last trip.

Should we keep our night time outings to Jl Padma and Jl Pantai Legian (sp) and just use Ultra during the day??

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Security in Legian

There have been too many incidents at night in front of that empty lot next to the MBR. Don't walk the beach strip at night unless there are plenty of others around, that really goes for any streets at night. When you say Jln Ultra I presume you mean Utara. This is just as safe as all the other streets as long as there are still people walking / shopping etc.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Security in Legian

You will be safe. I don't imagine that you would be walking around in the wee hours.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
369 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Security in Legian

Hi, we walked everywhere and at night with our three kids and were staying in a villa down a number of alley ways in Legain. We never felt unsafe other than when there was a huge group of dogs down one at night. But we got by without a hitch

just wait till you get there and if you feel unsafe catch a taxi home for a couple of bucks :).

Perth
Level Contributor
387 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Security in Legian

Yep thats the one linda52, thought it looked funny when I typed it LOL

Guess we got used to go out shopping upto around 9pm at night in Tuban/Sunar and found it busy, was thinking it would be even more so around this area.

No wee hours here, past it and the thankfully the kids are not there YET