We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lovina, Amed or Pemuteran

London
Level Contributor
196 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Lovina, Amed or Pemuteran

We plan on staying in one of the above for a couple of nights before moving down to Seminyak but have never visited and would appreciate some insight. Me and my partner are early thirties, like quiet and picturesque surroundings within reach of some relatively busy city of some description. A reasonable hike into town isn't a problem. We're not big on beaches or night life.

Mentioned in this post
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lovina, Amed or Pemuteran

I only know Amed and Pemuteran: neither of them is particularly close to any "big city"- Ubud would be the closest to both.

Pemuteran is on a spectacularly beautiful bit of coast in the North: it's a good long way from even an ATM. Amed is a sort of strip of seaside places on the East coast- great for diving, lolling on the beach,etc, but no nightlife in either place.

Basically in Bali the quiet and picturesque bits tend to be a long trip from any city at all. And the roads are not great; the traffic is horrendous in places, especially near big towns. If you don't care for beaches, you may consider staying in Ubud, in some of the outer parts of the town- Nyuh Kuning, or Campuhan- where there is peace and quiet and rice paddies to rest your eyes on.

Another gorgeous place is on Lake Batur, where there is a great spot with a floating restaurant, but you still would be a long way from a big town.

Edited: 15 August 2012, 02:07
Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lovina, Amed or Pemuteran

You,ve only got a couple of nights before you move to Seminyak where you'll have access to big towns etc. Interesting you chose those places as you said you're not keen on beaches. There on the coast.

Really I think you will love any of those places. Amed has beautiful country behind it and there are enough good restuarants to keep you amused at night.

Lovina is just down the road from Singaraja, the old capitol city of Bali. Originally settled by the Dutch its worth a visit and the Dutch influence is obvious. It is not a tourist city but we really enjoyed our day there.

Hope you have a great time. Everywhere out of the Kuta area is different in its own way, so give it a chance, I'm sure you'll enjoy all your experiences in Bali.

Mentioned in this post
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Singaraja
Singaraja
Bali, Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
7,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lovina, Amed or Pemuteran

We spent a week at Lovina in May, our first time in this area and absolutely loved it. Planning to go back for a couple of weeks next year as we saw so little of the area, even though we had a rental car and travelled over 500km in the week.

Singaraja is so different from the other parts of Bali, and we enjoyed the interaction of the Muslim and Hindu cultures, the traditional markets, spent over 2 hours watching the Ikat weavers, found people hand making bricks, sat peacefully at the Buddhist temple during worship, enjoyed wandering along the beach at sunset, watching fishermen pulling in nets and we shopped a bit at Hardys in Singaraja where many things were much cheaper than in the south.

Mentioned in this post
Singaraja
Singaraja
Bali, Indonesia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lovina, Amed or Pemuteran

We've been to all of them and my pick is Amed.we stayed at Blue Star and LOVED it!!

5. Re: Lovina, Amed or Pemuteran

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 23:17