We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali Budget crisis

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Bali Budget crisis

Many different posts on Budget in the Forum give conflicting advice. The difference between 100 usd and 50 usd is very large. I am planning on a budget of 50 usd per day for two people. We are not big eaters and can do with one cafe meal at dinner and fruit for lunch. Will 50 usd per day also be enough to be able to get around, we need to get to paddangbay, ubud, sanur, Mt Batur?? I am also not planning on doing major shopping but planning on lounging on the beach. This is my first trip to Bali so I have no idea...

Please help.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali Budget crisis

For the days you are lounging around, then yes I believe 50USD would be enough for two people. More then enough. Meals can be as cheap as $5USD.

The $100USD/day for two people normally includes some shopping and extras like alcoholic drinks.

Just keep in mind that for days you require a driver to take you from one place to another might take you close to, or over your 50USD budget/day (hiring a driver for a whole day will cost around 50USD).

Edited: 21 August 2012, 15:00
Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali Budget crisis

You can eat for as little as $1.50 and most full day trips will cost well under $50.00 so you can easily live on $50.00 per day. I do recommend you have extra or a CC in case you want something more in the way of food, shopping, tours etc. The chances are you won't use it, but I would always rather have too much money than not enough when on holiday.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali Budget crisis

Thanks so much, yes am planning on taking a fully loaded CC. I got overexcited when planning the holiday, instead of 10 days I got greedy and booked 21, instead of very cheap accommodation I got excited at how reasonably priced the really nice hotels are and booked those. Nice hotels in Cape Town are usually alot more than that so I was surprized and delighted. I am now in the situation where I have already blown my budget on hotels and am going to have to save like crazy not to end up in debt after the holiday - hence not wanting to use the CC.

Thanks Linda52 and Beedzu its a relief, what about public transport, taxi's are those expensive?

I am so excited about this holiday as it is the first time my partner and I are going on holiday together.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
842 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali Budget crisis

there is no real public transport. Taxis are cheap i.e. Trip from Legian to Kuta about $10. Taxis or bemos will only do fairly local trips, you will need a driver for longer trips. I usually pay 450000 for a driver for the day. food is cheap if you eat indonesian food. The little warungs are great value compared to the touristy restaurants. You can buy drinks and snacks at the supermarket to keep costs down. i am very jealous, 21 days would be awesome. For us when we are on a budget $50 gets us a cheap lunch, nice dinner, massage or spa treatment each. Drivers, day trips and shopping are extra, or sometimes hubby goes without the massage and spends his on beer.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5,028 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali Budget crisis

You'll be fine as long as you are a bit carefull.

Cheers Mac

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali Budget crisis

mustelus, we travel to Bali twice each year. We are retired and on a strict budget. We spend 4 weeks or more in Bali each trip, and the nex trip is for 6 weeks. Here's one tip keeping the spending in check.

You will eat a big breakfast: Go to a supermarket/deli, get bread/fruit/cheese/meat or similar for your lunch and don't go to a restaurant. Frankly, by the time I've eaten fruit, bacon, eggs, toast at 8am, the last thing I want is another big meal for lunch.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali Budget crisis

Agree with the supermarkets for lunches/snacks etc.

Bali doesn't have to be expensive. I think it is possible on $50 US a day for 2 food/drink wise. But if you are after trips and shopping you might want to watch the purse strings on a few days to save a little extra for the other days.

People go back packing for months on end on smaller budgets, so it must be possible.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,956 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali Budget crisis

Of course you can budget very carefully and make your $50 per day work for you but given that you are coming such a long distance for what seems to be your first trip to Bali and that you want to travel around and see as much of the island as you can during your 21 days, I think it would be worthwhile if you were able to allow yourself a bit more than that. It's nice to be able to do the things you'd like to do without worrying about the budget too much each day.

9. Re: Bali Budget crisis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 05:16