We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you invite your driver to dine with you?

Level Contributor
130 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Do you invite your driver to dine with you?

For those who hire drivers for full day trips or overnight trips, do you usually invite your driver to dine with you? What do the drivers usually do for meals and accommodations?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you invite your driver to dine with you?

For a day trip, it depends on where you want to eat. Often the driver wouldn't be all that comfortable eating with you in an expensive place. For lunch, it is good manners to give them a small amount of money for lunch. They will be able to get nasi bungkus (takeaway) for a few thousand.

If you are overnighting, you need to discuss this with your driver and ask what arrangements he can make about accommodation. Sometimes they will have 'a friend' or 'family' that they will want to stay with, other times you will need to pay for an inexpensive room for them - but you need to make sure that it can be arranged. You will also need to pay for all meals, drinks etc for the driver.

Depending on the situation, you might invite the driver for dinner, my experience is that they usually decline, in which case you should give them a few thousand to buy a meal. Often they restaurant in which you are eating will feed the driver anyway, but you can't be assured of that, and a few extra thousand in his pocket can't be begrudged for him having a night away from his family.

Australia
Level Contributor
863 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you invite your driver to dine with you?

If your driver is a chatty friend then invite him out to lunch if you think he will enjoy your company.

However if he is the quiet type give him some personal space and chill out time. Awkward silences among strangers over lunch is not what you want to experience on your holiday.

I know in my own work I appreciate some alone time to be "off duty".

I tip my driver massively for overnight trips and buy him drinks and snacks on long trips.

Treat others how you would like to be treated I say:)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,694 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you invite your driver to dine with you?

We always give our driver money for lunch and or dinner whilst he is waiting for us.

You will find that they just like to rest and talk with their friends.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you invite your driver to dine with you?

its up to you, we did ask our driver to have lunch with us this last trip a few weeks ago. but we have used him many times and feel he is our friend. He was most appreciative. traci

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you invite your driver to dine with you?

We always invite our driver, but we feel we know him well enough now. We do not push if he doesn't want to come though, as sometimes they have an area for the drivers and they all chat and catch up and a meal is provided for them.

perth
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you invite your driver to dine with you?

i have never asked a driver to join me for lunch.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
842 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you invite your driver to dine with you?

our driver is hilarious and we normally invite him. He has one drink then disappears to play cards or hang out with the other guys. the one exception was when i said would he take us for babi guling and that i would buy him lunch if he could find the place id heard of.... Well not only did he make sure he found it he enjoyed lunch and was very greatful.

Level Contributor
130 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you invite your driver to dine with you?

Thank you all for your input. I'm happy to cover the driver's meals as its not much extra out of pocket in the scheme of things. Its good to know that it's ok to give the driver some money for meals as well as invite him to sit down with us.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
771 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you invite your driver to dine with you?

When i arrive at the airport i always get my cab driver to walk past the deli, i get a bintang for me and a water and a packet of cigarettes for the driver. They are usually speechless as noone ever gets anything for them. If they dont smoke im sure they know someone who does. Then are the end of the journey i tip as well.you tend to be in a generous mood when you first arrive in Bali:-) I've never had the option of inviting a driver to join us for lunch...but we will have the opportunity next month, and then i will give him the option to do so.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
146 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you invite your driver to dine with you?

we have a driver for 5 days at the end of September and we certainly will offer lunch/dinner, but i am worried about insulting them. is this a valid concern?