We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viber App on iPhone

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Viber App on iPhone

If I switch off global roaming can I text/call family back home via my iPhone using Viber and WiFi without charges?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viber App on iPhone

Yes you certainly can - global roaming is in regards to your mobile service provider when making calls.

Viber is reliant on Internet access (such as wifi), so doesn't need your telephone service to enable it.

Same with wifi.

To ensure that you don't accidentally use your data while there, make sure you turn off your data. Go to settings - general - network, and turn your mobile data from on to off.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viber App on iPhone

Thanks.

Data roaming to be turned off and 3G?

Leave on cellular Data though?

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viber App on iPhone

When you turn off mobile data it automatically disables data roaming. I also turn off 3G. Viber worked great for texts to UK from Bali recently but calls weren't very good as there was a long delay of speech at both ends which made conversation disjointed. Maybe due to the distance or the wifi signal not being at high strength.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viber App on iPhone

So turn off mobile data, that disables data roaming & the apple shop advised me to turn off 3G.

Edited: 12 September 2012, 17:29
Sunny Coast...
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Viber App on iPhone

My local Telstra shop just advised me to turn on airplane mode and it will disable the phone and data sim from working, but it will still be useable over wifi. I have done that the last 2 trips and never had any unexpected bills when I returned.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
947 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Viber App on iPhone

Or get a local sim and include data as well as phone. That way you still have 3G when wifi is not available.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Viber App on iPhone

My phone is locked so can't put in a local sim, If I have it unlocked then I lose my monthly 3G allowance.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
947 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Viber App on iPhone

Thats interesting Ursie57, I have never known unlocking to be a problem with phone plans in Australia. I am with Optus, I only had to re-sync after the request was made.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Viber App on iPhone

It's in my terms & conditions...unfortunately!

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
324 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Viber App on iPhone

Ursie looks to be in the UK... they have different unlocking guidelines to Australia with their carriers.