We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 Days in Bali avoiding built-up areas & party zones

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
14 Days in Bali avoiding built-up areas & party zones

Planning a first ever trip to Bali but want to avoid Kuta and surrounds. Travel planning for two adults.

Considering 7 lazy days somewhere around Ubud (inland is the idea) and 7 days on the coast for beach (in)action.

Looking at resorts but don't want to be stuck in the 'middle of nowhere' with no restaurant options beyond that offered by the resorts.

Pictures in mind: as private as possible, lap-pool?, walking (or short drive) distances to closest town/village for food variety.

Room Budget ~AUD$170 - $250/night for 2 people.

How much could we expect to pay for local (cheap) eating?

Experiences or thoughts are most welcome.

Cheers,

Tim

Australia

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 Days in Bali avoiding built-up areas & party zones

Hi Tim. If you after the village life I highly recommend penestanan village. It's about 10-15 minute walk into Ubud or a $3 taxi ride.. It's close to great rice paddy walks and is very laid back. There are a few nice places to eat in the village., a great bar called the round bar or close enough to ubud for shopping, galleries and great restaurants. Have stayed here a few times and have always stayed in a private villa.check out vacation rentals in ubud on TA or google private ubud villas. All these villas are in Penestanan village. I'm going in March and have booked 3bedroom with pool for $150 a night. I know they have 1 or 2 bedroom villas as well. Steve the contact on this website is Aussie and lives there. Hope this helps

Perth West Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 Days in Bali avoiding built-up areas & party zones

For your 'on the beach stay', I suggest you try the Ayodya in Nusa Dua, in the Palace. The Palace is a special executive area with 73 rooms. No kids allowed, has a seperate pool, large rooms with balconys and two day beds, great breakfast (not a buffet!) great afternoon tea, great evening drinks and nibbles. And a large expanse of grass, right on the best beach in southern Bali. Golf course next door.

Because it's on the east coast, prevaling breeze is off the ocean. Much, Much cleaner than the west coast (Kuta). Underground power, manicured streetscapes, no traffic. Bali Collections if you must shop, with no hassell.

15 minutes to the airport by taxi.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 Days in Bali avoiding built-up areas & party zones

amed is worth visiting small coastAL fishing villag good accommodation and restaurants and have private villas on beach check the rentals on this site and within your budget

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
303 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 Days in Bali avoiding built-up areas & party zones

I second Amed. It's Bali at its absolute best.

Nusa Dua is for the rich and fabulous and cannot be considered a representation of true Bali. Nusa Dua is more your picture of true paradise however. So it will depend on what sort of beach escape you are after. I think after chillaxing in Ubud and getting in the spirit of things, you will appreciate Amed a lot more than any of the Southern destinations, which include Tanjung Benoa, Nusa Dua, Uluwatu, Jimbaran and the like.

You want to stay away from Kuta, Legian, Seminyak and I wouldn't call Sanur a picturesque beach scape. Don't get me wrong, we usually stay in Sanur as it is central, cheap and a lot quieter than Kuta etc. but it is not a pretty little beach area.

In Amed, you should be able to rent a beachfront villa very cheap (for its inclusions). Just search under the Holiday Rentals tab on the top bar and search for Amed. The Beachfront Hideaway is very good, and usually around the $150/night, less if you book a week. Katana villa is highly recommended, though not beachfront, but most guests get so caught up in its ambience, they don't care about it. The beach is nearby so you just take a moped. Blue Moon Villas are also a great spot with nice food.

Amed has some of the best, most accessible snorkelling in Bali. The worst thing is it is 3 hours from Kuta/the airport. The best thing is that is 3 hours from Kuta/the airport. It keeps everyone away. And since most flights return to Australia between 10pm-MN, you treat the airport run home as a day trip. You will pay about 300k Rupiahs for a driver to take you to the airport, so pay pay 350k and do a day trip. You can checkout, pick up your driver, have one last lunch in paradise, then head off to the airport, and do your stopping and shopping at Candi Dasa, Celuk, Denpasar Dept Stores and the like on the way.

PS: While in Ubud, make sure you do a cooking class, and one of the bike tours (don't worry, it's all downhill, you brake more than you pedal). Both are a great insight into Balinese lifestyle and culture. I recommend Payuk Bali cooking class, as Ketut takes you to his home compound, which is only 5mins from Ubud centre. And if you're up for it in Amed, you can do a (very) early morning hike to the top of Mt Agung (volcano), where you watch the magnificent sun rise as your breakfast is cooked off the hot rocks. It is about a 2 am start, but if you are fit enough and is in your interest range, is a must-do.

And be warned, if you do happen to stay in an Ubud Villa and Katana Amed or similar, and do some of the tours recommended, you will be left with an uncontrollable and insatiable desire to return as often as you can afford. Enjoy.

Ballarat
Level Contributor
105 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 Days in Bali avoiding built-up areas & party zones

I would recommend Amed as well, but probably not for more than three or four days as it is very very quiet. Snorkelling is amazing and the area is very scenic. I also love Tanjung Benoa, although near Nusa Dua, but not a gated and false area. Would recommend Kind Villa Bintang or the Novotel Benoa in this area. Novotel has lovely cabanas on the beachfront where you can just sit and watch the world go by, and are right next to the pool and massage area. Rooms over the road are lovely too, and the pools, I think are better there too.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,796 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 Days in Bali avoiding built-up areas & party zones

Aussie Wayne - does the Ayodya come within the OPs price restrictions? A few days there sounds like a good idea.

Checiny, Poland
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 Days in Bali avoiding built-up areas & party zones

if u want to aviod party zone, just try one of this place ;lovina, amed,sidemen,Candidasa, jasri

Victoria Texas
Level Contributor
392 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14 Days in Bali avoiding built-up areas & party zones

I would definitely second Amed. We did a week there at Villa Aroha (I think it would meet your criteria....most nice) and we're going back for another week next may.

I'd also recommend Pemuteran on north coast.....again, quiet, beach, clear water, plenty lodging and eating.

As to Ubud, it's not that hard to find quiet near Ubud, just realize that you either scooter or taxi to get around if you want to be in the center of town.

good luck....sounds like my kind of trip

joe

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 14 Days in Bali avoiding built-up areas & party zones

sickaworking - what is the true Bali representation

it cannot be anywhere the tourist goes or where more than 2 or 3 tourists are

While Nusa Dua is designed for toursitts - so is Kuta and neither are representative of village life

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 14 Days in Bali avoiding built-up areas & party zones

hese places have reasonable to good acommodation, food, quiet and are nice places to stay-

padangbai

candidasa

amed

lovina

balian

berewa

candikunning

munduk

pemuteran