We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali airport departure protocols

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Bali airport departure protocols

Hi all. First time back to Bali in a while and wondering what the protocol is on arriving early for check in etc.

we are on the midnight Garuda flight to Melbourne and have 2 young kids so not that keen on sitting in hot unairconditioned airport for too long that late at night.

Do we get there any earlier than 90 mins prior? Is any area of the airport air conditioned? What about the lounges? Do they accept kids? Are they air conditioned? Any advice appreciated.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali airport departure protocols

Hi James

I wouldn't try to push it to the limits. The Bali airport is having some serious construction and just the walk alone from the parking lot to the international terminal can take 5 to 10 minutes. How old are your children? If they are small enough you can ask to get a ride on one of the golf cart buggies that come complimentary to elderly, disabled or families with young children and shuttle between the parking lot and the terminals (both domestic and international). These buggies are on your left side as you cross the street where security controls traffic.

If not, paying for a porter to carry your luggage all the way through the scanner and the check-in counter could be convenient to you. The official rate is 5,000 per bag but I always add a little.

Other than the renovations inside the airport you may also want to prepare for traffic although that depends on the day of the week you are flying and what time you have to be at the airport.

I have been stuck in a traffic jam on Saturday night that started about 500 meters before entering the airport and easily added another 20 minutes to my overall travelling!

Inside the airport there are several lounges and the better one I think is the Premier Lounge which is at gate 1 & 2 and where you pay 27 dollar or 250,000 Rp entry. Kids below 10 pay half I believe and infants below 24 months are free.

Make sure you prepare some cash to pay for the departure tax which is either 150,000 Rp or USD 18. Both are accepted.

Edited: 24 October 2012, 14:31
perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali airport departure protocols

Hi James

Check in is recommended between 2 - 3 hours before departure. Arriving at the airport does take longer at the moment due to the redevelopment. Having small children will qualify you and family for a trip in the buggy. There is usually a bit of a back up at the entrance, where all bags are xrayed and passengers must walk through the metal detectors. Find the check in counter for your flight, having done that, then move upstairs to pay your departure tax in IDR. Moving on from there to Immigration. Once these formalities are completed, you will find duty free stores/souvenir stores/ coffee and snack stalls as well as the pay per entry lounges, which with two young children would be a comfortable relaxing way to wait for the boarding call.

wendy

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali airport departure protocols

Yes, allow a good margin for traffic problems on the way to the airport, especially if it is raining, and then a good extra margin for the potential vagaries of the airport as it is a work in progress.

Indeed the airport operators have recently announced the relocation of the current domestic operations from the existing Domestic terminal as that is scheduled to be demolished in January.

They appear to be suggesting that the entire Domestic ops are to be relocated temporarily into around 9,000²m of the new (unfinished) international terminal, scheduled for completion and inauguration in May 2013.

There was a big meeting at the airport concerning this imminent move scheduled a couple of weeks back, not sure what the outcome was but the Domestic operations have been scheduled to move in early December.

The airport may have a few interesting moments between now and May next year.

When it is all over the new international terminal should be quite a change from the old one, and that is to be refurbished as the new Domestic terminal.

Do make sure you allow lots of time so you do not end up feeling pressured by time. If you end up there too early it is far better than being to late.

Edited: 24 October 2012, 18:13
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali airport departure protocols

Last two trips to the airport has taken over 1 hour from Legian to to the airport. Lines at the airport when there the worst I have ever seen, people panicky that they would miss their filght, others trying to queue jump and causing arguments and yes it was bloody hot. It was school holidays but do give yourself plenty of time.

Sydney
Level Contributor
280 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali airport departure protocols

Sorry to hijack - This is our first trip so I'm completely unsure about this type of thing!

Our flight leaves at 10.10pm, what time should we leave Seminyak?? We also have a small baby so don't want to spend too much unnecessary time at the airport, but certainly don't want to miss our flight!!!

Ta!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,657 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali airport departure protocols

Kate the traffic is terrible getting to the airport that time of night,we usually get that flight and leave for the airport around 6.30pm by the time you reach the airport,check in line up for immigration we usually have an hour to kill and just go into one of the lounges for a drink.It again takes time for the boarding procedure by the time you again go through x ray and baggage check.

Sydney
Level Contributor
280 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali airport departure protocols

Thanks a million TLM!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali airport departure protocols

And in case it's relevant, children under the age of 2 years are not required to pay the departure tax.

Sydney
Level Contributor
280 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali airport departure protocols

Great to know! Thanks Whinnie!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bali airport departure protocols

Thanks all, just to confirm are the lounges air conditioned? What about the rest of the airport? My kids are 4 and 7 do you think that will qualify us for the buggy? Do we have to pay? Cheers all.