We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Weeks in Bali/Lombok

Boston
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Two Weeks in Bali/Lombok

Hi!

I'm going to Bali for about 2 weeks around the New Year. Hoping for a vacation that's mostly relaxing (beaches, surfing, scuba) with a couple hikes and cultural things mixed in.

Looking at a couple tourbooks and the such, I came up with the following itinerary as a possibility, but I'm unsure how much time I'll be wasting in transit, and whether some of these stops are essentially repeats that I can cut out. I'd love to hear the opinions of some people who've been there and have a better sense of these things.

My Itinerary:

Day 1 -- Arrive in Denpasar, head to Ubud

2 -- Ubud

3 -- Travel (early?) to Pura Luhur Batukao for some hiking

4 -- Drive to Medewi early and do some surfing (I'd need lessons/rentals -- do they have them?)

5 -- Long trip from Medewi to Ijen in East Java (just sounds really cool)

6 -- A day in Ijen hiking and checking out coffee plantations

7 -- Ijen to Lovina or somewhere not that attached to this. Just thought I might need a midway stop on my way back

8 -- Lovina to Amed, for relaxing resorts/fishing villages

9 -- Ferry to Lombok, stay at the Gili Islands

10 -- Gili (do they have scuba? surfing? good food? nice hotels?)

11 -- Gili

12 -- Rinjani hike (how long will it take to get there?)

13 -- Maybe south Lombok during the day, late ferry back to Denpasar/Ubud

14 -- One more day (Seminayek?) and then out of Denpasar that night or the next morning

Thoughts? Will I have any good beginners surfing/scuba diving/hotels/food (food is extra special important)? Am I missing anything major? Am I hitting anything majorly touristy? I'd rather avoid crowds? Also, is this feasible, or am I trying to cram too much into two weeks?

Thanks,

Sasha

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Denpasar
Denpasar
Bali, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Medewi
Medewi
Bali, Indonesia
Java
Java
Indonesia
Amed
Amed
Abang, Indonesia
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
Lombok
Lombok
West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
World Surfaris
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Bali Green Surf
Surfmania
Female Bali Driver (Ni Wayan Leriani) - Day Tours
Water Sports, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Private Tours
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Weeks in Bali/Lombok

Hi, it all looks pretty good except I do have a slight problem with your Medewi and East Java side trips. There is a lot of travel time in there for minimal time on the groud at the destinations.

If it were me, I would do 1 or the other, not both.

Everything you have listed is available on the Gilis.

Mentioned in this post
Medewi
Medewi
Bali, Indonesia
Java
Java
Indonesia
Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,017 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Weeks in Bali/Lombok

I would also consider going straight from Amed to the Gili Islands as there is a fast boat that leaves from Amed. This would save you a few hours. Do The Gilis first and then get over to Lombok from the islands. Obviously check the conditions to ensure your safety IF conditions are not favourable go to Padangbai and go over on the slow ferry. This is very cheap, they do take longer and they leave hourly. Standard of ferries varies, the one I went over on was clean, comfortable and the journey was way less than the advertised time.

Getting from A to B can take longer than you anticipate so cutting down some of your travel time will be in your favour.

To avoid crowds you may wish to consider Sanur for your last night rather than Seminyak.

Mentioned in this post
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
940 Reviews
Lombok, Indonesia
Amed
Amed
Abang, Indonesia
Lombok
Lombok
Padangbai
Padangbai
Bali, Indonesia
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
the Kimberley, West...
Level Contributor
817 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Weeks in Bali/Lombok

You say you are looking for relaxation but with the itinerary you have set yourself its going to be more work than relaxation. New Year is very busy in Indonesia; the road to Medewi is bumper to bumper with mostly buses and trucks, and getting from place to place can be slow and frustrating. With what you intend you will spend most of your tour sitting on transport. IMO cut back on the number of destinations and give yourself some time to appreciate where you are and fit in some of that relaxation you are after.

Mentioned in this post
Medewi
Medewi
Bali, Indonesia
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Weeks in Bali/Lombok

We just got back last week from Lombok & Gili T.

quite a bit of your time is taken up on each journey just getting to each place so I would certainly give Lombok and the Gilis atleast 5 days, we did 7 days, we would of loved to stay even longer however 7 days was relaxing to enjoy the areas.

Mentioned in this post
Lombok
Lombok
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two Weeks in Bali/Lombok

your schedule is great but is pretty tight as the travel times between some places is long and there may be logistical problems getting from one destination to another.

i'll suggest on some days:

3 dont know where this is?

4 can rent boards and surf lessons. on arival at medewi as the locals at the end of the road just in front of the break. they will sort you out with whatever you want

5 i did the ijen trip a few years back - you are right it is cool and worthwhile. it will take the best part of the day to get to the hotel (nearest is arabica) and an early start the following morning. the road is rough! the ferry is fun. the people are lovely.

6 the coffee plantations are next to the hotel. the hike is an easy walk. at the top of the crater you can go to the bottom. this is steep the clouds at the bottom are sulpur so beware. the bottom of the crater is beautiful in its sheer resembeance to hell (though never benn to hell). the trek is an experience.

7 it takes the best part of a day to get back to bali. lovina is a reasonable stop. maybe better to go on to amed so that you get at6 least the following day without a long drive.

9 ferry - fast boat to gili trawangan, i prefer to use the gili cat fast boat to get there. there are three islands. gili T has the most facilities - good accom, good food, plenty of scub places, surf sometimes ( can hire boards there). maybe a ood idea to stay in a scuba hotel to do a package hotel scuba deal.

12 rinjani hike can be organised from gili t. lots of tour agencies there. i haven't done it but it is hard and you need at least two days. get there, start in morning. hike and stay night or a hard slog in one day.

14 you need to be back in bali the day before flying out (the 13). indo travel isnt always reliable. if you are on the mainland lombok, i would fly back. garuda has a flight in the evening. if on the gilis do a fast boat in the afternoon.

you have an ambitious and adventurous trip but if you have the stamina go for it. if not , you might want to devise a possible plan if you just want to stay in a place nd chill.

all is feasible but most of the time you will need a driver/car. you might want to consider using the same driver for the bali/java section and a different one for the lombok section.

good adventuring!!

Mentioned in this post
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
6. Re: Two Weeks in Bali/Lombok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2013, 09:16