We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ceremonial umbrellas

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
576 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Ceremonial umbrellas

Will be staying in Sanur and Ubud. Have been asked by a relative if I can buy her 2 of these coloured umbrellas. I don't normally like shopping for others while in Bali but I owe her a few favours so I will get them however don't really want to spend heaps of time sources them. Does anyone know where I will get them and approx. price.

Thanks guys

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ceremonial umbrellas

You will get them at the Sindhu Beach Markets in Sanur

The largest ones i paid 150.000 rph but had to had the pole cut shorter to take home.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ceremonial umbrellas

Son and DIL had to hand theirs over at customs in Brisbane as they wouldn't let the pole in at all. Be very careful examining the timber used in the poles.

There is a local shop on the corner of Jl Sudamala and Jl Danau Poso that stocks them as well.

Checiny, Poland
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ceremonial umbrellas

try visit the nearest traditional market.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,599 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ceremonial umbrellas

we bought some on the way to Ubud or Lovina (where they tend to be in large amounts) and they were fine, in fact fabulous quality. 60 000rp and we had the poles cut.

When they finally fell apart (we had in garden for ages) we bought more at Denpasar local markets.

I left hubby to it and customs took them off us....said was the worst case of borer they had ever seen (embarressing). Of course you don't want that.

So yes be very careful to check the poles when you buy.

I wouldnt pay any more than 100 000rp. I have seen them here in oz for $35.

Edited: 05 November 2012, 02:19
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ceremonial umbrellas

DIL got hers from the Denpasar Markets as well, PLLT. And to be fair to your hubby, it is quite dark in those narrow oppressive hallways there, lol.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ceremonial umbrellas

Lucky for me i had no problem with my pole.The only problem was that they go in as checked baggage and do not come off on the normal carousel in Sydney,you have to go to this other conveyor belt and wait ages.

Mine faded over the summer but i am going to get two more this trip.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,599 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ceremonial umbrellas

Hehehehe yes Whinnie, we just laughed after we got over the shock.

Edited: 05 November 2012, 02:23
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
576 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ceremonial umbrellas

Thanks everyone sound like I will avoid Denpassar Markets and will check the poles. Will take some garbage bags over and do the spray in the bag trick before I leave.

TLM what a pain to have to go to the other carousel but my cousin got my 16 year old the best job ever, he has now left school, earning good money and has never been happier, so I owe her big time.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ceremonial umbrellas

How big are these umbrellas?

Sounds like you all hot a bargain

Pretty sure I paid 60000 for a smallish one that sits on my back deck.

My mum bought me a beautiful three tiered one somewhere up in ubud. Not sure how much she paid. Is this the sort you are talking about TLM?

10. Re: Ceremonial umbrellas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2013, 10:18