We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Bali guide book

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Bali guide book

Hi guys, apart form TA obviously!, I'm wondering which book proves to be the best Bali guide. I'm getting a kindle from Santa!

I'm looking for great maps and places to eat etc. staying in seminyak.

Thanks x

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,050 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Bali guide book

Hi Niss - I think this is a matter of personal taste, depending on what sort of traveller you are. I normally favour Lonely Planet, but have delved into Rough Guide etc previously. Just be aware that they only hold very limited information when it comes to places to stay/eat etc as they try to cover every single resort/destination within the space of a few pages.

They're good as a general overview, and do contain some fascinating bits about the history of Bali, the ceremonies etc however, and can be useful in shaping your idea of which resorts you want to stay in if you don't know a thing.

But for places to eat/stay, you really can't beat using a site such as TA (or other good travel sites) to ask questions in the forums or to check out the Reviews sections for hotels/restaurant recommendations and print things off. You can even find decent maps on the internet.

If looking for a guidebook in bookshops (remember them?), it's sometimes useful to look at a book for somewhere you're very familiar with, see if you agree with some of the recommendations and info, then take a gamble on getting a guidebook in the same range.

Edited: 07 November 2012, 12:14
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Bali guide book

Thanks!

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Bali guide book

A great little book that lists almost every activity is "Bali with Kids".

Obviously, as the title says, it is family orientated but it has an extensive list of things to do and how to contact and book.

t does not include night clubs etc.

There is a web site www.baliwithkids.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,755 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Bali guide book

There is also a little gem of a book i buy each year from Bali called Rest and Relax Bali.It is always up to date on all sorts of things ranging from restaurants,hotels,spas and local maps.It costs 10.00aud from most of the little convenient stores and supermarkets.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Bali guide book

You might find what you are looking for if you google bali holiday guide.

Cheers

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Bali guide book

The Periplus Guide to Bali is excellent - much better than the Rough Guide which I have. I've borrowed the Periplus guide from the hotel library but you can buy it here.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Bali guide book

lonely planet gets my vote

8. Re: Best Bali guide book

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2013, 10:16