We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recharging Indonesian sim cards overseas.

South Australian...
Level Contributor
736 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recharging Indonesian sim cards overseas.

I have just attempted to recharge my telkomsel sim card using babblebug.'

They just send me an email asking me to call a 888 number. Is this legit, or dodgy?

thanks Fiona

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recharging Indonesian sim cards overseas.

You can go into any circle k and ask them to top it up for you. You just need to know your Indonesian phone number. My friend and I did this on a regular basis when there in June.

South Australian...
Level Contributor
736 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Recharging Indonesian sim cards overseas.

I am currently in Australia, and many people use Babble bug to recharge their sim cards to keep them current.

You don't actually even need to know your number to recharge it in Indonesia.

but thanks anyway

Sydney
Level Contributor
428 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recharging Indonesian sim cards overseas.

I didn't realise you could recharge from Australia? I purchased and used a simpatim sim whilst in bali last October. Will be going back in may 2013. Can I recharge here so it will still work next may?

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recharging Indonesian sim cards overseas.

Telkomsel simPati active periods per isi pulsa recharge as per "Value and the validity of pulse simPATI (physical voucher, MKIOS, mobile banking, ATMs and retail stores)

Rp 5,000 extends active period by 7 days

Rp 10,000 extends active period by 15 days

Rp 15.000 extends active period by 20 days

Rp 20,000 extends active period by 30 days

Rp 25,000 extends active period by 30 days

Rp 50,000 extends active period by 45 days

Rp 100,000 extends active period by 60 days

Rp 150,000 extends active period by 120 days

Rp 200,000 extends active period by 150 days

Rp 300,000 extends active period by 180 days

Rp 500,000 extends active period by 240 days

Rp 1,000,000 extends active period by 330 days

Call *888# to see the current balance of your simPATI SIM card.

Be aware that only isi pulsa is accumulative in the Active period.

Ie. Rp 10,000 twice will provide Rp 20,000 in call credits and an active period of 15 days +15 days = 30 days

However sequentially applying 2 Rp 10,000 voucher will provide Rp 20,000 in call credits and an active period of 15 days + 15 days = only 15 days.

Many warungs use a reseller system and cannot isi pulsa in amounts above Rp 100,000 and that is sometimes not as productive as going to a Telkomsel office and ensuring the process is done correctly.

Also be aware that some of the resellers provider systems have anomolies with Active periods, ie a Rp 50,000 isi pulsa may only produce 30 days with many of them. Best to go to a Telkomsel office if seeking an Active period of longer duration through isi pulsa (purchasing pulsa)

_________

There is another alternative for accumulating pulsa in a SIM account but be certain that you understand there is NO addition to the active period.

To transfer pulsa between a simPATI or Kartu AS SIM, and another Telkomsel SIM.:

The first method is to type out an SMS and then send:

TPULSA (space) enter the nominal transfer amount, then SEND to the desired destination number

For example, for a nominal delivery of Rp 10,000 to the number 0813533XXXXX, keystroke the following SMS

< TPULSA 10000 > then enter the destination number 081353351XXX, and then SEND

or there is the option to use the Telkomsel services menu:

Type: *858* destination number # * then enter the nominal transfer and press OK / YES

Example for a nominal delivery Rp10 000 to the number 0813533XXXXX,

type *858*0813533XXXXX*10# ... then press OK / YES

How to use credit transfer:

• Pulsa value can be transferred in a range of 5, 10, or 100 thousands - (example: 15,000, 20,000 and so on)

• A minimum remaining balance of Rp10,000 must remain after the Transfer process

• A maximum of 10 Transfer transactions may be performed in one day

• Maximum total daily pulsa transferred may not ecedd Rp200,000

• Transfer fee is Rp 500 per transfer

• The SIM of the sending party must be in the status of 'Active period'

• The SIM of the recipient party must be in the status of 'Active period'

• Each credit transfer transaction does not change the status of the active period, only the Pulsa credit balance

• If the recipient SIM is out of Active period (Grace period) then normal isi pulsa must be done to re-activate the SIM into Active period before the Transferred pulsa may be accessed by the recipient.

This will only work Telkomsel to Telkomesel. You cannot transfer to your own SIM, it must be from a separate SIM.

XL, Indosat, Axis, and the others each have their own arcane way of doing this.

Edited: 02 December 2012, 12:21
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recharging Indonesian sim cards overseas.

You can 'purchase' active period (extend the time of SIM validity) or "beli masa aktif".

With an XL SIM:

- To access the system to "buy" active period key into the handset using the SIMs interactive service menu:

3 days (3 Hari) costs Rp 1,000

7 days (7 Hari) costs Rp 3,000

90 days (90 Hari) costs Rp 25,000

For Telkomsel SIM to buy an active period extension (membeli mas aktiv) the SIM must be in an active period, there must be more than zero left in the sending SIM and each day costs Rp1,000

The other providers have varying methods for this sort of thing.

Get a tech savvy local to assist with any of this as the means and method seem to change.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recharging Indonesian sim cards overseas.

In direct answer to Fiona, when using a Telkomsel SIM, calling 888 provides access to the voice menu for checking pulsa, active period and grace period.

*888# checks Simpati credit amount and expiry date

Drop the leading * and the # and dial 888 to use the recorded prompt systems. Then press 5 and then 2 for service in english

*123# checks XL credit amount and expiry date

Drop the leading * and the # and dial 123 to use the recorded prompt systems. Then press 2 for service in english

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recharging Indonesian sim cards overseas.

Beware that XL changed their "Grace" periods mid 2012. the Grace period is no longer 30 days and should be carefully checked so the SIM does not inadvertently become invalid.

The active period derived form re-charging pulsa, and the grace periods are all shorter now, however the SIM now remains 'alive' for 60 days (15 days in Grace period) + (45 days non re-activate Grace period).

In the 60 day period following expiation of the 'active period' voicecalls and SMS can be received, but cannot be made from that SIM. The remaining credits are not accessible after 15 days and the SIM may not be re-activated after 15 days.

Telkomsel 888 and *888# now only provide the date of 'end of active period'.

30 days Grace period is not stated and so a re-charge should be made asap.

The Grace period does appear to remain at 30 days but as the recording and SMS return now fails to provide a confirming statement it may be prudent to use caution with that grace period duration so as not to end up with an invalid SIM.

Edited: 02 December 2012, 13:11
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recharging Indonesian sim cards overseas.

I have recharged from Australia before also using Babble bug and had no problems, it was a bit pricer though.

Sydney
Level Contributor
428 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recharging Indonesian sim cards overseas.

Thanks hurc for your very detailed reply. I think it will be easier just to buy another sim when I return in May rather than try and recharge in Australia.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recharging Indonesian sim cards overseas.

Yes Lin and Les, that is generally the case.

Otherwise it can get both expensive and confusing.

Also if something goes wrong (and that does happen) you might find the SIM becomes inactive without remedy or redress. That has happened to me a few times and when it has happened whilst outside Indonesian I have lost both my (long term) number, and the accrued credits.

Just leave the airport, and then seek a SIM for around Rp10,000 (Rp5,000+vendors commission).

Sometimes one of the telcos do a promotion at the airport and they are available for the regular prices at a promo booth or tent inside or immediately outside the terminal building.

Edited: 03 December 2012, 07:34