We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa on arrival at Bali airport in Australian Dollars??

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Visa on arrival at Bali airport in Australian Dollars??

Can we pay the visa on arrival (VOA) at the Bali airport in Australian Dollars? and if so, can any one tells us how much they charge in Australian dollars? Cheers :)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,935 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa on arrival at Bali airport in Australian Dollars??

Yes you can pay in aussie dollars. Expect to pay between $25 - $27 AUD. (no coins accepted)

read this current post.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
543 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa on arrival at Bali airport in Australian Dollars??

It's heaps easier to have USD though. Then you just hand it over & they hand visa straight back rather then holding the line up with different currency's. if you don't have correct AUD amount they don't like change & you would get that in Rupiah which takes more time. I'm not talking ages, just enough to be frustrating with the people behind you.

Jakarta, Indonesia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa on arrival at Bali airport in Australian Dollars??

i suggest you make your visa before you leave at closest Indonesian consulate or embassy. there will be a long queue for tourist and you have to queue again in the immigration..

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa on arrival at Bali airport in Australian Dollars??

It's not heaps easier o pay in US currency., if you have US dollars use them, but there is little value in time and money going to the trouble of buying US just for the visa.

It takes maybe 20 seconds to give change, and if people are so frustrated by having to wait that long for others they need a chill pill, :) :)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,935 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa on arrival at Bali airport in Australian Dollars??

USD used to always be recommended due to a 'scam' that was happening by some officials at the airport. They were making money on the side by incorrectly converting currencies other than USD to pay for visas.... then they were incorrectly converting the amount of your change as well when converting that to Rupiah...... basically by the end of the transaction people were paying too much for their visa.

Today the process is more streamline, easier to obtain and the problems of the past are over.

There won't be any noticeable delays if you have your money ready to hand over.

Delays happen when people get to the counter, don't know the procedure or cost and have to muck around asking questions and searching for their wallets. There is no delay for people who present their money when they reach the counter.

With AUD and USD around parity paying in AUD is also easier now.

IF people hand over AUD which many do now they automatically know what to charge and the change process is more streamline as well.

As for the suggestion of purchasing the Visa prior to arrival (post 3) this is not suggested for a few reasons.

(1) you need to post your passports to the embassy and pay for a return postage. .. unless of course you live close by. Registered post is not cheap.

(2) This system is used by people who need a visa for longer than the 30 day tourist visa (or other purposes). You can purchase a 60 day visa for $60 not the $25 visa for 30 days in this manner.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa on arrival at Bali airport in Australian Dollars??

Is Australia Post Express Post no longer considered to be a safe conduit for sending and returning a Passport?

Surely that is sufficient, Registered Post is no doubt a lot more expensive.

gold coast australia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa on arrival at Bali airport in Australian Dollars??

can i pay

Visa on arrival before leaving australia, cheers peter

gold coast australia
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa on arrival at Bali airport in Australian Dollars??

can i pay for visa on arrival before i leave australia.cheers peter

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,259 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa on arrival at Bali airport in Australian Dollars??

>>Is Australia Post Express Post no longer considered to be a safe conduit for sending and returning a Passport?<<

I would have said so once, Hurc, but when DD who had moved to Melbourne had her handbag and all documents stolen, we sent copies of her birth certificate and driver's licence to her via Express Post, and it took 14 days to arrive. Aus Post were completely unapologetic, and brushed off my complaint with a load of tosh, none of which addressed the issues I raised.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa on arrival at Bali airport in Australian Dollars??

Tolanelectric - yes you can ... if you fly with Garuda and depart from Sydney