We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Month in Bali

Virginia Beach...
4 posts
Save Topic
A Month in Bali

Can anyone with some local knowledge tell me of some great must see destinations? Anything from temples to waterfalls to beautiful beaches to bustling night life.

Also how much should I expect to spend in a month backpacking there? I will be searching for the cheapest accommodation and meals and using public transit as much as possible.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Month in Bali

It is hot in Bali so as long as you are happy with that and like walking all will be good. We ride motor scooters around as we are not into walking so if you have a bike license it is a good way to tour. A bike can be hired from $5/day and fuel is cheap. You must be a confident rider though as if not used to it Bali traffic can be a bit daunting. In saying that I feel more confident in Indo riding a bike than is Sydney as driver awareness in Bali is high. Unlike in Sydney where drivers think they own the road and they are basically pathetic drivers. Public transport buses are available and fairly cheap. Push bikes are another option once you get to an area.

Kuta for the night life. We call it crazy town as it is literally crazy, Very busy lots to do. It is expensive to stay there but there is some very good cheap accommodation close to everything if you look.

Waterfalls are up in the mountains. On the way up to Lovina there are some really good ones.

The Ubud area is a great base to explore the many many temples around such as the two Gunung Kawi's yes there are two of them with the same name are a couple to research.

A trip up the east coast has many temple as well and the ride from Candidasa upwards is spectactular especially if you do the inland road up and the coast road back. You get the best of Bali doing this trek. Sideman is in this area and again is spectacular for hiking etc. Also in this area is Mount Agung. A bit of a must to do a hike up in the middle of the night to reach the top for sunrise.

Beautiful beaches and Bali can't really be said in the same sentence. They are ok though. View wise really nice but nothing like I am used to in Australia :).

Expenditure you can spend as little or as much as you want. Food is cheap if you eat in the local Warungs. You can get a whole fish and salad for $4. A good lunch you can get for $1. All excluding alcohol which is comparitively expensive. $1.50 to $2 for a small beer. Accommodation costs can get a bit high if you are fussy. I would just ask around with the locals when you get to an area. You can get a bed for the night for $5 and that usually gets a form of breakfast.

We like mid range so are doing it for $100/day/person as I like a drink and the wife likes aircon :). You could easily do it for $50/day and be very very comfortable. Couldn't imagine doing it for less than $25/day although it must be possible as the locals do it for less than half that. The time of year and the areas you visit do make a difference.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Month in Bali

Try going to Lembogan Island or one of the Gilli Islands off Lombok (there are three of them of varied sophistication)

Virginia Beach...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A Month in Bali

Wow, thank you for all that info UrbanJungle. Every bit helps and I am always excited to hear from personal accounts.

You say you must have a motorcycle license to rent the motorbikes. Do they really check that? I have no motorcycle license here in the States but I figured I'd have no problem renting one?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Month in Bali

You do not have to have a motor bike license to hire a bike many don't BUT on the off chance you do get pulled over expect to be fined. I guess it is more of a safety aspect that you need one due to you having experience as driving anything is not for the faint hearted in Bali and the big issue of your insurance not covering you.

Kalabahi, Indonesia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A Month in Bali

Hi,

Apart from the obvious (Pura Ulun Danu Bratan ...), check out

http://breptile-rescue.blogspot.co.at/

They do interesting night tours into the rain forest.

If you are into hiking, check out

http://www.summitpost.org/agung/152336

Nusa Lembongan is worth going to, very much so!

Be careful when riding your motorbike. If you hit a child in a village, people will not smile anymore ... you might get lynched.

All the best!

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Month in Bali

Hi,

We love the East of Bali, and Ababi is a lovely village full of ceremonies and traditions. Close to Tirtagangga Watergarden, Ujung Floating Palace, Amlapure local market, only 20 min. from Candidasa and 30 min. from Amed.

You can do the East Bali Bike tour from there.

There are several cheap homestays in and around Ababi, we stayed at Sudanita Homestay.

You can visit local schools from there, make village and ricefield walks etc.

Hardly any tourist!

Edited: 26 December 2012, 18:28
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Month in Bali

If you are staying in and around Legian/Kuta it is quicker to walk than get a bike

8. Re: A Month in Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2013, 10:16