We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never again

Paraburdoo...
Level Contributor
203 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Never again

2 more sleeps till we are back on our way to Bali.

I will never again book through a travel agent again. I will try and do it myself next time.

Apart from being booked into a place that did not suit us. But then got it changers to

The Jayakarta which I am happy about. Then having our plane cancel on us and if it was

Not for a fellow TA I would not haven known. First itinerary was wrong then. Got our itinerary and etickets. That we're not checked properly

We were going over with 25kg each but on way home we were not allocated any luggage. That would have been interesting. After paying for luggage both ways.

Today I finally get my etickets and itinerary which also had another mistake in it and I booked this all 3months ago. It has taken all this time

to finally get it all right. Oh and then the nightmare of getting kids passports done. had to get photos redone. then hubbies and my passport's were not good enough had to get a new birth certificate sent up to me to prove i was born in WA. that all took 4 months to just do 2 kids passports.

So leave at stupid o'clock on the 12th then 10 days in paradise hope trip will be better than the organising for this trip. I was thinking there for a while someone does not want me going on this trip.

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never again

LOL

I never use a travel agent , they are over priced and inefficient as far as i am concerned.

You think its hard to get a passport here .....its worse over east , every single thing on the forms has to be to perfection , in the tiny box , cant have 2 different black pens , no paper smudges ....now that is a nightmare !

Am curious as to why they would book you in a hotel that you didn't want though , normally you specify where you want to stay !

Batt

Paraburdoo...
Level Contributor
203 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never again

I asked for a place either the Jayakarta or a villa close by I was given the name of a place.

I was told it would be good for my family of 6. Then when I read up on it it was not suitable for us at all

And as I am a chronic asthmatic the gardens would have not been a great idea for me as the grounds was thick with foliage making the air very think and some times a bit hard to breath there. So this place was not suitable for me at all. Especially since I have just had a major asthma attack don't want to rock the boat too much.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,254 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never again

My daughter is having the same problem for her Virtnam trip with the alleged Vietnam Expert at the Travel Agent. Almost all the info that she has supplied has been incorrect when I have checked it.

Mac

Hepburn Springs...
Level Contributor
729 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never again

Sorry for you but not all agents are like yours

Mine is wonderful, thorough and waits till the cheapest flight comes up and pounces, only puts us in accom she has stayed herself, knows how standards and likes, Saves me hours of work and stress, wouldn't do it any other way

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never again

Plenty of great travel agents out there...like all professions there are those that are brilliant & those that just do without passion .

I do plan & book 90% of our trips, we like to book into some accom that is only booked direct therefore no commission for agents.

When we do go thru travel agent the lady we go to is beyond brilliant, she books trips for our daughters family....so I guess it depends on how much time you can put into researching to do it all yourself...I spend hours every night reading reviews, TA & other forums & looking over info & photos of accom to plan our trips, if I didn't have the time then I would go to our travel agent & pick her brains ( our last min Fiji trip last March!)

Edited: 08 January 2013, 21:39
Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never again

It is like looking for any professional , not all are good. I have used a few plumbers that were useless.

The T/A I use is great and although she changed branches not long ago and it is further for me to travel, I deal with her.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Never again

I agree that there are plenty of great travel agents. But, I also find it much easier now that I have the confidence (and with the benefit of the internet and sites like TA) to book all my own travel and accommodation.

I hope that you have a wonderful holiday in Bali TanBevan+4. It will be well worth any hassles to get there.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never again

My advice is to do your own research on TA get your prices then given a WRITTEN itemised list of what you want to your travel agent and compare prices. I always do a TA check on anything my travel agent recommends before signing up-- sometimes they can get better flights than I can doing it on the internet

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
820 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Never again

My agent is very helpful however their lowest prices guaranteed mantra sufferred a blow when their quote of $6,600 was beaten by my own $3,500 effort.

Do it yourself if you can afford the time.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Never again

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience :( which company?

We, partner and i, booked through Flight Center for our first trip to Bali.

We could have done it ourselves but both work full time, and to be frank, couldn't be bothered googling, searching and contacting back and forth.

We forked out about $1300pp for flights & accommodation for 10days at the Pullman Legian (5 star hotel). Sure it's expensive but the hotel was worth it!

We both walked in off the street and booked everything through Flight Center Innaloo right there on the spot. The staff were helpful and very informative for first time bali visitors.

Passports i organized through Australia Post and the lady behind the counter checked my form before i sent it off. She was very helpful and found some mistakes which saved me money and time!!

I've signed up my wedding gift register with Flight Center for our Honeymoon in 2014. I hope everything goes well for us though ><