We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali or Thailand?

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Bali or Thailand?

My husband and I have flights booked to Bangkok for end of April to mid May giving us 17 days away. We want to spend some time in BK before visiting a beach resort. We plan to book internal flight with AirAsia or one of the cheaper carriers which gives us plenty of options.

Where would be best in May? We've never been to Asia before and generally very excited by the cuisine, culture, beaches so we are open to suggestions. We enjoy day trips and activities like snorkelling but also half decent weather.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We've read so much online, we want to go everywhere!

Best

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
917 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali or Thailand?

It is difficult to provide good advice as I know people who love one and not the other and vice versa. 17 days is not that long so I would recommend one or the other instead of both. My personal preference is Bali.

Thailand and Bali are very different so therefore it is hard to say which is best as both have good and bad features.

Generally Thailand has better beaches, especially Phuket, Pi Pi Island and Koh Samui. But is saying that I think the beaches in Bali are very good. The strip from Kuta to Seminyak, Sanur, Nusa Dua, Uluwatu region, Candi Dasa/Amed region (great snorkelling) all have good beaches.

Bali is probably less expensive, the Balinese cultural experience is wonderful, especially in Ubud and surrounds.

Both have great hotel choices, budget to 5 star and food options (Bali maybe a bit better).

Another aspect that some people find confronting is the sex industry often seen in Thailand tourist locations, like Phuket and Pattaya for example. It is there in Bali but not in your face as much as Thailand.

Air Asia fly direct to Denpasar from Bangkok, Jetstar Asia will be via Singapore.

Whatever your choice I don't think you will be disappointed. May is a perfect time in both locations

Sydney
Level Contributor
265 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali or Thailand?

I love both Thailand and Bali and they offer different and unique things. Given you are going to be in Bangkok I would consider proximity the best judge.

From Bangkok - Bali is 4 hours flying, Phuket, Krabi or Koh Samui is 1 hour! FOr example you could have 4 days in Bangkok and then go to Krabi, spend a week in AoNang, then get a car to take you to Phuket and you will have tried two different areas.

For the time, the hassle and the relax - I would stay in Thailand on this trip.

( That being said I still Love Bali!!!)

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali or Thailand?

If it is beach resorts you are after then Thailand is the place.

As for the sex industry, in Phuket it is in one street 200 metres long.

In Bangkok I never came across it at all. Just like any place you will find it if you are looking.

Frankston Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali or Thailand?

I am afraid that I will have to disagree with David P on a couple of points in his post and agree with Polly and Nairobi on Thailand for choice but only because you will already be there.

We travel to both every year and for different reasons.

We were in Thailand in Aug for 3 weeks and stayed in Bangkok for 4 nights and then down to Phuket where we stayed at Kata Beach Resort and then to the Dewa at Nai Yang.

We stayed at Pattaya and Koh Samui the time before.

In my opinion the beaches are far better, the food is superior in choice and flavour and it is cheaper to stay there and easier and reasonably cheap to get around to different islands and areas.

I would not fly for 4 hrs extra each way to go to Bali over Thailand if I was already there.

We head off to Bali in 2 weeks time for over 5 weeks, so you can see that we love that place and its people.

The traffic is horrific in Bali in trying to get around and is getting worse but that seems to be a problem everywhere you go now.

The people there are terrific apart from some pushy market sellers and the manicure /braid your hair ladies but you just have to have a laugh and think of Ronda and Ketut.

All in all, both are beautiful places to visit and absorb some local culture, so just have fun and enjoy

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali or Thailand?

May is the start of the low season in Phuket so you would get some pretty good deals.

Good time for Bali too but seeing as you are in Thailand why waste time travelling to Bali

PS We love both places and alternate depending on time of year

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,360 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali or Thailand?

As your flight is already booked to Bangkok, stay in Thailand. Thailand has a to offer. Save Bali for another time.

Perth
Level Contributor
90 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali or Thailand?

I totally agree with everyone else! I just love the food in bali better! But seeing as you are in Thailand stay there . And all the more reason you love water and nice beaches you can either go to ok Samui which is beautiful or in Phuket you will love Phi Phi and Krabi or a canoe trip on Phang Nga! Absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy!

Bangalore
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali or Thailand?

Instead of Bali u can visit India,lot of places to see,especially Hampi,Mysore,Bangalore In karnataka

Asia
Level Contributor
663 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali or Thailand?

Bali certainly is a great option. If you want to try something different and less touristy have a shot at the Philippines. Lots of places there that match what you are looking for. Check out the TA forums there if you like.

Q

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bali or Thailand?

Bangkok is a city... And Bali is a resort, couldnt find a big building as government do not allow o build more than 4 level... Such beautiful beaches are layed surounding the island from Kuta, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Jimbaran, Seminyak, Lovina etc.... As May is considered not as a high season and not raining perhaps this is a good time to come and book hotel without high season surchrage... As with so many interesting places and excitments Bali is going to be a good combination with Bagkok....