We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corrupt Airport Taxi Service - Is this information current?

Sydney
Level Contributor
429 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Corrupt Airport Taxi Service - Is this information current?

and True?

I was just doing some research for my upcoming trip when I came across the information below. I first went to "Top Questions About Bali" on the right hand side of the page. Then on a link "How much is a taxi from the airport" Then another link on the right "Taxis and Rental Cars" Then this information appeared within the article (I've cut and pasted it from the article hope this is ok and I haven't broken any rules?) I have used airport taxis before and wonder if this information is current? I have never seen it on this site before, although I may not have drilled down through the links. Also not sure who the author is?

"AIRPORT TAXIS

YOU ARE STRONGLY URGED TO PRE-ARRANGE A CAR TO COLLECT YOU AT THE AIRPORT WHEN YOU ARRIVE INTO BALI. The official "Airport Taxi" service has sadly become completely corrupt. They are closing their windows to all-but-one to create HUGE cue's (recently there was a two hour wait in the taxi line), and they have a monopoly (they are the only taxi's available). Then when you finally reach the window they charge completely different (and MUCH higher) rates to the ones listed on the board. There are notices pinned up around the place saying "Pay set rate" etc etc, but when you point these out they laugh and smirk at you and say "how will you leave here then.." - they know they have you over a barrel. You do not want to experience this kind of "welcome" to Bali. Please ALWAYS arrange a pre-booked car and driver to collect you. The airport taxi company does not deserve your money. Your hotel should be able to pre-arrange an airport pick up. Alternatively you can usually skype contact a reputable travel operator in Bali during Bali office and hours and book through them. "

Edited: 24 February 2013, 04:17
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
315 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corrupt Airport Taxi Service - Is this information current?

We arrived two weeks ago and did not experience any problems - we were through the airport, into a taxi (at the price quoted on the board) and sitting in our hotel in Kuta within the hour.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,673 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corrupt Airport Taxi Service - Is this information current?

We have never had a problem with the airport taxis.It is set price and you pay the fee then you are taken to the taxi and are on your way.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
401 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corrupt Airport Taxi Service - Is this information current?

When we were there a couple of weeks ago, there was no lineup at the stand. But I had my 50,000 ready which is what I had paid previously and they said it had gone up to 70,000. I checked on TA when I was back home and my belief that it was still 50,000 to Kuta was confirmed. Only a small amount of money to us but if they do it with every passenger, they'd be raking it in!!

Cheers, Lynne

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,673 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corrupt Airport Taxi Service - Is this information current?

The board at the front of the counter states the price.

Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Corrupt Airport Taxi Service - Is this information current?

I have been charged 5000 rupiah more than the board rates the last 3 times I have been to legian. just get waved away with them saying the board isn't up to date..

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,933 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corrupt Airport Taxi Service - Is this information current?

The airport taxis are reliable, the price advertised is what you are charged. More often than not pre arranged transfers work out more expensive than the advertised 'official' taxi rates. It is however always worth comparing.

The guy at the taxi counter at the airport will usually ask you the name of the hotel where you are staying and may say it is more than the board price, you will find this happens IF the hotel is for example is in Legian but advertised as 'Kuta' as location on the address. There is a sort of 'undefined' boundary between some areas, such as Tuban, Kuta, Legian and Seminyak. These places are all located along a long stretch.

As for the article you referred to this unfortunately is a link to articles on Bali which can be edited at any time by any member. There fore you will get individual comments added to the bottom of the actual article. Most of the articles we have posted at the 'Top questions about Bali' are articles that us Destination Experts have written and posted and these cannot be edited by other forum members. IF it was added to the top questions with just the prices then the information you read would not be there.

Some members have in the past actually edited the airport taxi prices to remove advertisers and provide appropriate information and correct rates.

Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Corrupt Airport Taxi Service - Is this information current?

snooky I got charged the same fare when I stayed at legian beach hotel as when I stayed at kumula pantai .both were more than the board price.

as long as the price is still reasonable I don't really care and will keep using them. I still think it is the best way to go if you haven't got too far to go.

since not all taxis have working seatbelts and aircon If the trip was going to take longer than 30mins I would get a private driver

Dwellingup...
Level Contributor
291 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Corrupt Airport Taxi Service - Is this information current?

Our last trip we were charged 5000rp more than the board said but meh! Not big enough difference to cause a fuss really.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,501 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Corrupt Airport Taxi Service - Is this information current?

Hi

I think FameNSW will have something to say on the subject of taxis at the airport - there is definitely some kind of scam going on at the moment. I hope she sees this thread and sheds some light on it.

Cheers

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
95 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Corrupt Airport Taxi Service - Is this information current?

Yes, we have been charged a ridiculous amount by the Taxi Maffia for a short trip to Holiday Inn, not very far from the airport. It was much more than the rate on the board. We were basically told take it or leave it, had no option but to pay them.

Since then I have always arranged private transfers. Each to their own I guess.

In saying this it was not hugely expensive by Aus standards, so dont get me wrong, Im not a penny pincher, it was just the principal of the matter that got up my nose!

If they feel they need to charge more, then change the rates on the advertised board, then no one feels ripped off or upset.

We did not experience any long waiting lines.

It's a shame the bluebird taxi drivers are unable to take waiting customers from the airport, especially as they are already stuck in the traffic jam of the airport exit.