We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali cigarettes - which ones are not kretek or clove?

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Bali cigarettes - which ones are not kretek or clove?

I want to buy some Bali cigarettes for a friend, although as I am not a smoker, I don't know what I am buying really.

I want a brand of Bali cigarettes but not kretek or clove or menthol, just standard cigarettes (but not brands that can be bought anywhere else).

Which ones should I buy? It is difficult to look at them behind the counter.

Perth
Level Contributor
745 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali cigarettes - which ones are not kretek or clove?

I'm not sure they have any local brands that aren't kretek or clove.

Most balinese who don't smoke this type of cigarette buy International brands because they are so cheap - about 1/10th the price of here in Australia.

Bintang Supermarket use to have cigarettes on a stand near the registers, if you wanted to have a closer look.

However, this may have changed because as I only stay in Sanur it's been a while since I stepped into that supermarket.

Lotte Mart, on the road to the airport, just outside of Sanur has a huge cigarette booth with cheap prices and lots of staff who may be able to help

Edited: 09 March 2013, 07:52
Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Perth
Level Contributor
745 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali cigarettes - which ones are not kretek or clove?

PS: Cigarettes are much cheaper in supermarkets than Bali Airport

Level Contributor
393 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali cigarettes - which ones are not kretek or clove?

Why not kretek or clove cigarettes.? They are the only ones I buy when in Bali and I am not a smoker. I love to open a packet and take a deep breath, it reminds me of when I was a smoker in Yogyakarta . I also love it when hubby lights up and has one or two puffs as it takes me straight back to Bali. Sorry not very PC and I know that smoking is bad for your health. Sorry I don't know of other Bali cigarettes.

Mentioned in this post
Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta
Java, Indonesia
Gawler, Australia
Level Contributor
805 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali cigarettes - which ones are not kretek or clove?

As others have said I don't think there are any local cigarettes without cloves. For the most popular brand purchased by travellers I suggest Malborough Lights. They are about Rp14 000 per packet however the packets are only 15's from memory. I am a smoker and have tried many brands in Bali over the years with many incidents of nearly throwing up after one puff and immediately either throwing them in the bin or giving to the first local who wanted them. Malborough Lights are the only ones I have found are close to Australian cigarettes that I can actually smoke. Although Marlborough are a brand you can purchase in Australia they are different in Bali. Just remember you can only bring 50 cigarettes through customs in Australia now.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,143 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali cigarettes - which ones are not kretek or clove?

Just about all cigarettes produced in Indonesia are clove/kretek cigarettes. If you don't want kretek, then steer clear of Gudang Garum, Sampoerna, Djarum, Bentoel and Bali Hai to name a few.

Nearly all other cigarettes produced in Indonesia are produced under license from a Western Company. Benson & Hedges, Longreach, Marlboro and Dunhill are all available and will taste different to what you would buy in England.

You will have opportunity to see the different brands of cigarettes and you might come across a brand not available in England that will fit the bill.

Mentioned in this post
Gawler, Australia
Level Contributor
805 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali cigarettes - which ones are not kretek or clove?

Oops sorry didn't even check to see where you came from before posting my reply. I was posting from my mobile so not so obvious.

Edited: 09 March 2013, 09:32
Perth
Level Contributor
745 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali cigarettes - which ones are not kretek or clove?

I've found Dunhill Lights to be the best: costs 13,500 rupiah for 20.

Marlboro Red is also good if you want something stronger.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
21,645 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali cigarettes - which ones are not kretek or clove?

I smoke Davidoff in the dark red pack when in Indonesia which, although more expensive than other imported brands, are a treat when I'm there. They are so much nicer than many of the other brands.

Mentioned in this post
Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali cigarettes - which ones are not kretek or clove?

Save your friend life and take them home a bintang singlet instead.

10. Re: Bali cigarettes - which ones are not kretek or clove?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 06:16