We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Virgin Reward Flights in Australian School Holidays?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Virgin Reward Flights in Australian School Holidays?

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the chance is of booking Virgin Rewards Flights during the Australian School Holidays?

Any tips of when they become available and what is the best way to secure them would be greatly appreciated.

We are flying our of Adeladie to Bali.

Thanks, Karen

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
947 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Virgin Reward Flights in Australian School Holidays?

I have seen Virgin rewards flights available during peak times. Just log on to Velocity, enter your dates and see if any are there.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Virgin Reward Flights in Australian School Holidays?

Hi David P, yes had already done that, however it shows all school holiday periods as being SOLD OUT. Which is why I am wondering if they do even have them.

I have phoned Velocity and have gotten nowhere.... They cannot seem to answer my question.

If anyone has booked Virgin reward seats I would love some help 😄

Brisbane
Level Contributor
742 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Virgin Reward Flights in Australian School Holidays?

they seem to change constantly. i am trying to get the same for next january. at the moment all they are offering are fully flexible fares. it's the same from all cities in australia. just keep trying.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Virgin Reward Flights in Australian School Holidays?

If you are wanting them for these holidays (Easter and April) you don't have much of a chance. Sometimes airlines put a points blackout on holiday times or only offer limited seats. I used to have to book almost a year in advance for FF seats on Qantas in popular seasons.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Virgin Reward Flights in Australian School Holidays?

I booked for Easter last year, but left 2 days before Qld school holidays started and returned the Tuesday after Easter. The points required was less on the return journey but it was still reasonable.

This year, I checked for both points and outright fares for exactly the same period but ended up paying as the lower points fares just didn't seem to come up and the actual fare kept going up as months went by(and i started checking pretty much as soon as we came back last year). I'm not sure if it's because the Easter long weekend is the first weekend of the school holidays this year and more people are travelling?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Virgin Reward Flights in Australian School Holidays?

Thanks for all your replies.

We are planning to go next year in either April or July school holidays.

So I am just trying to get my head around how the rewards work - don't want to get my hopes up if we can't get them for when we want them.

101bm - yes I have been watching Jan 2014 and am finding the same thing - perhaps it is just going to be hit & miss with some luck needed/

7. Re: Booking Virgin Reward Flights in Australian School Holidays?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2014, 04:17