We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is bali right for me? can use some help

Toronto
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is bali right for me? can use some help

Hi,

I'm looking for something similar to Thailand, with equal or better diving to Ko Tao (Samui area)...

I am coming for 3 nights, and looking to dive during day (at least one) and rent motor bikes and just explore relax the rest of the time.

Cheap massage and markets would be cool..

Am I describing Bali? What area should I be looking at staying at? we want a luxury hotel ($200 a night or so) nice pool laid back atmosphere....

Thanks a lot!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
847 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is bali right for me? can use some help

Yes your describing bali however $200 a night accommodation is a bit steep !

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,333 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is bali right for me? can use some help

Just thought I'd mention that renting a motor bike in Bali can be fraught with all sorts of difficulties and dangers. Firstly the roads are in the main jam packed most of the time. The incidents of serious motor bike accidents are far too numerous. Secondly the local police can and often do pull up tourists for no reason other than to attempt to "fine" you for some imagined or real reason. They also will often insist that you have an Indonesian driving licence and will often disregard an International licence, making this a reason for a "fine".

Cheap massages, good shopping, great food and lovely people. All this you can find and excellent accommodation at far less than $200 per night is available.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is bali right for me? can use some help

Why is $200.00 a night a bit steep?? I have stayed at some gorgeous places for that and been happy to pay it.

Toronto
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is bali right for me? can use some help

Thanks a lot!

Can anyone recommend what area I should be looking into? I want some nice diving, smaller area I can use a moped to get around and explore... Should have some accessible markets and massages...

Should have upper end resorts in nice surroundings..

Thanks a lot!!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
847 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is bali right for me? can use some help

Linda 52 if you willing to pay $200 a night that's fine however there are some GORGEOUS hotels for less than half the price seems pointless to pay that much when all your doing is sleeping there

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is bali right for me? can use some help

Definelately need a like button on T/A,

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is bali right for me? can use some help

ChikkyMonkey, the best diving spots are:Tulamben, Amed & Menjangen Island. Tulamben is basically a divers village on the east coast. Upmarket resorts are Tauch Terminal & Mimpi + there is one at Seraya, the bay next door, which is very good also (sorry not sure of name). You could travel on a motor bike with reasonable safety here - problem is, there is little to see locally and no tourist style markets. Massages cost $10 or a little more.

There is also a luxury villa owned by Tulamben Wreck Divers, it's about 5 minutes from Tulamben, but I've heard that owner Tony will loan you a motor bike.

Can't comment on the other spots as we only dive Tulamben

Toronto
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is bali right for me? can use some help

Thanks a lot for your help!

I didn't realize it was so far from the Airport... I'm reading and says about 3 hours... wow...

Also seems a bit far from attractions.. Any other recommendations? We do want a 4-5 star resort with good service.. we also want it to be a pretty place, a pool overlooking the ocean, nice manicured gardens etc...

I guess for diving we can always wake up early and join a group right?! or do we have to be at one of the closer areas?

Thanks again! Really excited..

Toronto
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is bali right for me? can use some help

The dive shop I contacted recommended diving Tulamben and Nusa Penida. They're located in Sanur and said it's a nice place to stay... what do you think?

I am landing Sunday night and leaving Wednesday early morning so I do want to be centrally located in a nice area... but accessible to shopping, exploring etc.. Thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is bali right for me? can use some help

You won't find shops or markets at Amed or Tulamben however you will certainly find a great laid back pace and beautiful surroundings. You could also do some good tours from here. Perhaps you could spend 2 nts in Amed and the last in Seminyak or Sanur for a bit of fun , shopping and last minute massages etc.

The Royal Beach Seminyak is a beautiful resort hotel directly on the beach, It is worth checking out.

Edited: 10 March 2013, 08:44