We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Surabaya

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Surabaya

Can someone please advise me on going from Bali by train to Surabaya. how do i get to the ferry to go across to get to the train station. In which area is the ferry station? and does anybody know what the schedules are or is there a website where i can aquire this information? i will appreciate any assistance i can get. Thanks May

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Surabaya

Well unless you want to see the countryside....it's so cheap to fly and an hours flight. We are doing it next trip, think it was like $36 with air Asia and very easy.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,544 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Surabaya

I am with Perthlovestotravel and would fly. However if you really want to do it the long way you can buy a combined bus/ferry/train ticket from the Ubung Bus Terminal in Denpasar. The bus leaves twice a day.

Bus departs Ubung, Denpasar 3am and connects with train number 86 in Banyuwangi. Train departs Banyuwangi 8am and arrives Surabaya 2.52pm.

Bus departs Udung, Denpasar 2.30pm and connects with train number 88 in Banyuwangi. Train departs Banyuwangi 9.45pm and arrives Surabaya 4.38am.

I am not sure of the price of the combined ticket.

BTW, I have re-instated the taxi prices from the airport (top questions about Bali) which you mistakenly deleted this morning.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,812 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Surabaya

I agree with PerthLTT and Fame: Flying is so much easier and very cost effective, plus so much faster.

The buses that go to Java are not very comfortable and drive at a very high rate of speed and swerve in and out of oncoming traffic the entire time...it's really scary. The ferry itself. is not that comfortable either but it's only a few minutes so not such a big deal. Also, remember, you will have to transfer all your things by yourself (I recommend you fend off any offers of help from porters...too risky) between the bus and ferry and train.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Surabaya

Firstly i want to apologise for removing prices. I thought i was editing and saving for my records. So sorry and thanks for replacing. The reasoning behind going by train was to see the countryside but now that i have read your reviews i have decided to fly. I was under the impression it was a 6hour journey and not 12 hours. i will be travelling from Surabaya then Yokjakarta, Bundung and then Jakarta. would it be OK to do those journeys by train. I am looking for hotels near the train stations. I want to say thank you so much for the assistance up to now and want you to know that i appreciate it. I am travelling with my husband and we are both senior citizens so therefore i need to have all my ducks in a row and try to make things easier. Also a first time visitor to JAVA. Thanks once again.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Surabaya

Yes, fly.

But if you want to bus-ferry-train then go for it, you will see a lot more of Indonesia :)

kereta-api.co.id/layanan-produk/reservasi-ti…

You can ticket ex Denpasar on that site.

Edited: 18 March 2013, 11:36
Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Surabaya

Thankyou so much for the link. I will fly to Surabaya and then do all the other rail bookings from the link you have given me Also love the link of Indonesia can do alot of planning around that. Only wish the kerata-api link had a bit more english just trying to make out what some of the words are. But yes once again thank you so much.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Surabaya

Flying is easy, but then so is staying at home and watching a documentary about Indonesia, which is even cheaper, even faster and even easier. Neither is an adventure, is it?

There are combined train and bus/ferry tickets from Denpasar on Bali to Surabaya, 170,000 Rupiah (£13 or $21) by train & bus/ferry with Eksekutif class on the train, or 154,000 Rupiah (weekends) or 140,000 Rupiah (weekdays) with Bisnis class on the train.

These cover the bus from Denpasar to Banyuwangi (including the bus going on the ferry), then the train to Surabaya, quite a scenic run.

In Denpasar, a travel agency in the Ubung bus terminal is an Indonesian Railways (Kerata Api) agent and can sell these tickets to Surabaya. Alternatively, the Indonesian railway website lists the 'Rama Duta Bali' agency at Jl.Diponogoro Pertokoan Gontong Biru, No.150 Blok B No.04, Denpasar, Bali.

Edited: 18 March 2013, 12:43
Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to Surabaya

I know you've made the decision to fly to Surabaya - but just wanted to add my tuppence worth. We took a car to Gilimanuk and then the ferry across to Java, they run frequently - then we wheeled our cases the 400 (?) metres to the train station where we boarded our kereta api to Surabaya. The executive class seats were comfortable and a vendor brought fresh and tasty local food frequently - it was a fun, interesting and memorable journey. As far as I recollect the train was adequately clean and I don't think there were any horrors in the toilet.

I think you can look forward to your train journeys through the rest of Java - but I would recommend using executive class.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to Surabaya

Yes, do use Exec class or higher, and beware the AC is often chilly, you might want to make sure you have a jacket readily at hand.

Some people have reported the booking and payment confirmations have been a bit slow in providing a confirmation, but they have later done so.

10. Re: Train to Surabaya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 05:16