We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What shoes to take?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What shoes to take?

Hello,

we are heading to Ubud, Gili Air and Sanur next week for a 2 week period. We'll have kids (6 & 8) and plan to go hiking, rafting, elephant riding etc. What types of shoes would people recommend - do we need joggers if we are going into the rice fields?

Thanks

Ruth

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What shoes to take?

Hey Ruth,

I have been to those area's with kids the same age. I took joggers and thongs. When we went walking into the rice fields they did wear joggers. It is also good for them to have covered footwear at night so that their feet don't get eaten by the mozzie's.

Hope this helps.

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What shoes to take?

I generally wear joggers on the plane as my feet always get cold, and if we go anywhere that involves a lot of walking, wear them for that as well. Add in a pair of sturdy sandals/surf sandals, or similar for general wandering around and a pair or two of thongs for going out.

Re the mozzies - worry about the day flying mozzies for dengue....so make sure you apply repellent all day and night

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What shoes to take?

Great ideas, thank you.

Adelaide S.A.
Level Contributor
929 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What shoes to take?

You will need some waterproof sandals for rafting. Thongs probably not the best as its hard to keep them on your feet walking in water.( we got out of the rafts and walked under a waterfall etc.)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What shoes to take?

Hi Ruth,

we travel with kids too, and while runners are very supportive and protective, we find the kids and us generally wear them once and then they go into the bags just for us to carry around. We now only take reasonable quality reef shoes with enclosed toes... here is the link to the ones like we have,

bcf.com.au/online-store/…

they do make kids one too... and thongs for the kids. We usually get them some fake vans when there, but they don't wear them while we r there.

I take just my reef shoes, thongs, and a dressy thong for dinner. that's all.

I guess if u r going to do a lot of hiking then runners would be better, but they will probably get wet anyway.

Hope this helps.

Blue

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What shoes to take?

Great Blue, thanks for the link for the BCF shoes. Maybe they'll be a better option than the joggers.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What shoes to take?

I have a pair of shoes similar to the ones posted by Blue and I can strongly recommend them over normal joggers. Once your joggers get wet they take forever to dry but these are great - they offer very good protection and are cooler than joggers and they dry quickly so you don't have to worry about them getting wet.

Thanks for the link Blue - I want to get my husband a pair too.

8. Re: What shoes to take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 05:16