We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A bit confused on where to stay.......

Cape Town Central...
3 posts
Save Topic
A bit confused on where to stay.......

Hi all,

I have been given the daunting job of organising a holiday for 14 days to Bali for a group of our friends. We are three families (each with 2 kids). Our kids are all between the ages of 13 and 15 years so I need to keep them in mind when choosing a hotel. I am not sure whether to stay at a conveniently situated hotel and explore Bali from there or whether I should book various hotels around the island. This is our first trip to Bali so I don't have any idea what traffic / road conditions are like.

I was thinking that maybe Legian would be a conveniently situated place to stay but I'm not sure the distances involved in getting to places that offer various activities such as elephant trekking, snorkelling, exploring markets, temples etc.

As I've been nominated "Travel Agent" by my friends, I really need to get this right!! I would truly appreciate any advice. We're travelling from South Africa so quite far to travel and I am hoping that we'll all be impressed.

Thanking you all in antipation of your advice!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A bit confused on where to stay.......

Hi Billiepat and welcome to the Bali forum! What a job you've got .... and I know you will get lots of helpful tips from everyone here. An idea of your budget and things you would enjoy doing would be very helpful.

There are lots of great hotels/resorts in Bali, but there is also the option of villas which might suit your group more - they come with private pools, staff, etc. Most places in the south are close together but it traffic conditions can cause some huge holdups.

To start, I agree that Legian would be a good place to stay. 13-15 year olds would find lots to do with beach, shopping, great/cheap restaurants all nearby. But with 14 days, it would be worth moving around a bit (but not too much as you lose days checking out and transferring between hotels).

Ubud is a great cultural area in the middle of the island and a good point for lots of activities like white water rafting, bicycle tours, mountains, markets, temples.

Nusa Lembongan is an island about 20 minutes boat ride from Bali and is good for snorkelling, surfing, etc. There are others a bit further afield like Lombok and the Gilis.

Let us know what you are after, and we will be happy to help.

Cheers, VR

australia
Level Contributor
550 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A bit confused on where to stay.......

With two weeks I would suggest at least two different areas of the island. Legian/seminyak area is good for beach, markets, shopping, restaurants. I would suggest you look at Ubud which is close to many adventure activities or possibly Nusa lembongan island which is only 30 minutes off sanur and is an amazing small island where the kids could safely roam free. Sanur is also nice for families so have a look at that area.

australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A bit confused on where to stay.......

Just a tip Billiepat, our teenage children really do not enjoy the Villa experience, they find it very boring. They just love the atmosphere & activities of a larger Resort. Legian/Kuta is a favorite for our kids, as they love surfing & shopping. I also recommend staying in at least two different areas for the length of time you are visiting.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A bit confused on where to stay.......

Wow that is a big trip - how exciting. Legian is a great area for being close to everything so I'd recommend staying there for 7 or 10 mights.

Re activites for that age group. There is lots to do but make sure you go to the Waterbomb Park and the Bali Zoo.

Happy planning :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
280 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A bit confused on where to stay.......

this hotel isnt in legian but tuban febris hotel and spa just look at the reviews its only 3 star but wont let you down we stay here with our 7 kids aged from 19 down to 9 months and they all love it and never want to stay anywhere else! i agree with bigbird teenagers enjoying not being stuck in a villa! the teeens get on great with all the young staff at febris and the spa is to die for! book directly for a better price

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
280 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A bit confused on where to stay.......

oh also its close to waterbom and costs bugger all for a taxi down to kuta money changer acroos the road and queens of india a magnificent indian restaraunt! and jennys shop no bull...t is close by! im sure you have heard of her great little shop

Bali, Indonesia
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A bit confused on where to stay.......

Hi Billiepat, you can rent a private family villa for 14 days in Legian or Seminyak. Both these places are a great location to shop, go to local restaurants and there are different beaches to choose from all within walking distance. You can easily organise a trip/tour to different parts of the island depending on what activities you like, ranging from day trips to two days.

Staying in different hotels will take up too much of your holiday time and if a few of you want to participate in a tour, the ones that don't can stay in the villa.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,567 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A bit confused on where to stay.......

For me, one of the joys of travelling is staying in different hotels..it's much more interesting and fun to discover new worlds...especially for kids! With 14 days you could easily pick 2 or even 3 different areas and get more "explore and discover" time for the kids.

I also think with 14 days you could easily fit in a few nights in Ubud...and it will be much closer to attractions like Treetops, Elephant Park, rafting, etc etc. So you will actually save a lot of time NOT stuck in traffic.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
691 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A bit confused on where to stay.......

look at Jayakarta apartments. they are great value.

Cape Town Central...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A bit confused on where to stay.......

Hi Everyone - thanks so much for all the feedback! Hhmmmm - a lot of food for thought.

At least I'm on the right track with starting out at Legian, however I have subsequently read other posts on the forum saying that Sanur is a better base to choose because the traffic isn't as bad. Is this true? If I do choose Sanur as my base, will there still be as many activities as in Legian?

From your posts, I think the second phase of our holiday has to be Ubud - maybe 3 nights and then finishing off at either Gilis or Nusa lembongan islands before returning home. Any views on which are the better of the two islands?

Thanks once again for some great advice - its really helping me narrow things down :)