We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost per day

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Cost per day

Hi,

Hubby and I going to be in Seminyak for 11 days.

Can I ask the rough cost of a holiday including the following:

Daily lunch

Daily massages for both of us

Daily dinner (some fancy places and some not) with alcohol

A few pieces of clothes (nice stuff incl yoga gear)

Drinks

Coffees

Hiring a driver for day trips to Amed and Ubud and some other places

Could someone give me a rough estimate of how much I should put on our travel card to use at atm's and pay at restaurants please?

Any help appreciated

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost per day

We allow $100 each which usually more than covers everything. Unless of course wifey goes nuts shopping or I go nuts at a dive shop :).

There is a couple of links to your right up the top which may interest you under Top questions about Bali.

One is Rough guide to market prices and the other is Where should we eat today.

A driver + car etc is around $50 per day or $35 half day.

We can spend $15 on dinner or $200 depending on the mood.

So for us on an 11 day trip I would take over $2000 cash plus have an extra $1000 on a card for unexpected purchases. Just fyi you will always get a better rate exchanging in Bali with cash over any atm.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,012 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost per day

Hi we allow around $100 to $150 a day.(Talking aussie dollars here, as you are from NZ you can adjust accordingly).

Some days we have a lot left over.

Prices vary for most of the things you mention.

Including imported alcohol with dinner will significantly increase your cost as this is not cheap in bali. Take some duty free with you.

To give you an idea on meal prices, there is a lot of dishes around 35,000 - 50,000rp at many restaurants. A couple of dollars will buy a nice fresh juice or soft drink. Tea & coffee $2 - $5 depending on where you buy.

Massages can be as cheap as 50,000rp or you can pay the same as what you do at home.

Day trips allow around the $50 mark.

Local taxis are cheap around $2 - $5 for short trips.

Some attractions charge in US$ so you can expect around $30 + for entry to some things.

Market shopping is cheap, you need to bargain. Clothing can range from around $3 - $10 for most items.

You are better off taking cash with you and credit card for back up and to pay at department stores and larger restaurants.

Take 50's and 100's as they attract a higher exchange rate. Do not exchange any money until you are in Bali as the rate is higher.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost per day

Thanks so much for this guys.

So we were thinking of getting a prepaid visa card loaded with Kiwi dollars and USD.

I was told that money exchange in Bali can often be dodgy and you can get shafted...

Where is the safest place to change money?

Thanks again

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,773 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost per day

You are staying in Seminyak and my favourite money changer is there.

It is acrross the road and to the right a tad from Bintang supermarket.

It is a PT one.

For large amounts they have a money machine and the staff are lovely.

They have a great rate and you wont get ripped off there.

I always advise to change money daily or at least work out each days amount and take just that with you, then if you loose your purse etc you will only have lost a days cash.

Have a great time.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost per day

The best place to change money as PLLT said is the place almost opposite Bintang Supermarket. It is cool, efficient and 100% no dodgy. It's called BMC next to a place called SIP. :)

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,773 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost per day

Ohhhhh I forgot it was BMC, yes absolutely right.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost per day

Hi, it very much depends on personal preference, however we usually advise to take more than you think you would need as it is easier to bring it home rather than scrabbling to access more money when you are over there.

My partner and I generally take about $150- $200 AUD per day, however we tend to live outrageously large when we do go. We like massages in spas and dinners at places like Potato Head with the cocktails there. My shopping habits also add to the cost. If we have numerous day trips planned, this price range is good for us.

8. Re: Cost per day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2014, 06:17