We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving too early to check-in to hotel...ideas?

New Zealand
13 posts
Save Topic
Arriving too early to check-in to hotel...ideas?

We fly in to Denpassar at 6.30am - hours too early to check-in to our accommodation in Ubud. We will hire a driver to take us to Ubud, but I'm hoping for some ideas about what to do in the hours before we can check-in to our hotel. Should we hang around Denpassar and find something to do, or go straight to Ubud and pass the time there? Obviously we'll have no trouble finding something to keep us interested, but I'm travelling with older relatives, who will have been on planes for around 12 hours, so I think they'll be keen for a shower or swim and somewhere to chill out, rather than zooming straight off to explore in the first few hours. I'd be really grateful for some ideas (we'll have no children with us this time, so that might open things up?)

Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving too early to check-in to hotel...ideas?

you should be able to drop your bags off at your accommodation and just hang around the pool or go and have lunch while you are waiting for your room to become available. they should have somewhere to change and have a shower if it is a hotel.

Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving too early to check-in to hotel...ideas?

Take your time getting out of the airport, and drive to Ubud, the chances are your hotel will let you book in.. If not you can at least drop all your luggage off and have a swim in their pool or have a short walk around the town and a bite to eat. :)

Port Lincoln
Level Contributor
251 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving too early to check-in to hotel...ideas?

The hotel you staying at will more than likely let you use their swimming pool and have breakfast there etc, also have massages too before checkin. You might be lucky enough to have an early check in , room might be ready at a reasonable time.

Level Contributor
174 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving too early to check-in to hotel...ideas?

I'd ignore check in times, have stayed at over a dozen hotels in Bali and have never been refused an early check in. Occupancy is rarely 100% so if you're flexible on room location, it sometimes works in your favour and you'll end up with not only a room early but an awesome complimentary upgrade ;-)

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,211 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving too early to check-in to hotel...ideas?

You may certainly be able to check in, but I would drop the bags at the hotel, and if you can't check in go grab some breakfast in a cafe, maybe hit the market for morning prices, then after around 10am you'll find shops and spas start to open. So maybe a massage to get your blood flowing after the flight.

Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,015 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving too early to check-in to hotel...ideas?

Go to your hotel and you are likely to find they will let you straight into your rooms IF they are vacant. IF not then they will store your luggage. There will be a bathroom for you to freshen up in, the pool and restaurant to use. After a rest around the pool you can wander off and look around.

Realistically you won't have too long to wait until check in should your room not be ready as you have to factor in time to get your visa, luggage, clear customs, get a taxi, then drive to Ubud, it will be morning tea time by the time you get there.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving too early to check-in to hotel...ideas?

Hello bexm, if you fancy seeing something of the Bali beaches and get some fresh sea air before heading to Ubud I would suggest asking your driver (I assume you have arranged transport to Ubud?) to take you to Legian/Seminyak. If you're paying a flat rate for transport, your driver will be happy to wait with your luggage in the car. By the time you get out of the airport, into car and travel time it will be more like 7:30am. There are lots of places that do nice breakfast with great ocean views.. Try Hitana at the Niksoma, Lanai's, Zanzibar, or next door at Kumala Pantai or for more upmarket, La Lucciola. After breakfast have a walk along the beachpath or down on the beach before heading for the mountains. As others have said, arrive at the hotel when you're ready and leave bags at reception.. no problem. Make sure everyone packs their bathers in their carry on so less fuss at the hotel for swimming.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving too early to check-in to hotel...ideas?

Maybe book. One room for the day before - you wil be paying an extra night but you at least will be guaranteed to get into it when you arrive for showers and a nap if needed.

9. Re: Arriving too early to check-in to hotel...ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 06:17
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now