We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Potato head versus Cocoon- if you only go to one ?

Perth
Level Contributor
105 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Potato head versus Cocoon- if you only go to one ?

Wonder if anyone has any views on which is the one to go to - so far I have contacted both and cocoon seems good but potato head is nearer where I am staying , my concern is that when I asked about Pot Head menu and prices I was told " due to the unexpected circumstances happened in the past, our management put a strictly policy on this matter that we are unable to send out information regarding our regular F&B Menu" - just makes me wonder why.

So any views on the best experience and value for money ?

we were thinking of a lunch/ daytime/ afternoon visit not an evening one - if that helps with reccomendations.

Thanks

Sacred Rice
££ - £££, Asian, Indonesian, Seafood
Kubu at Mandapa
££££, Mediterranean, European
Perth
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Potato head versus Cocoon- if you only go to one ?

Potato head has more of a wow factor with better views of the ocean but I prefer cocoon for its more intimate feel. Food at both places is good without being one of this places that you rave about and tell everyone they must try.

Cocktails are great at both but potato head are a little bit more creative.

If you like people watching and views of the ocean and some impressive architecture then I would go potato head. If you prefer a more genuine, relaxed vibe with great service I would go cocoon. For me cocoon wins but that us just my opinion.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Potato head versus Cocoon- if you only go to one ?

I actually think you could go to two...Potato head for cocktails and Cocoon for the main meal... Potato Head has the Wow factor but I thought the food was just good, not great....but it's defnitely a Must Do!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
796 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Potato head versus Cocoon- if you only go to one ?

if value for money is a factor, personally i wouldn't go to either. they are both expensive and some of their staff are a bit snooty if you are not in the target demographic. i've been to potato head twice and cocoon once but probably won't return.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Potato head versus Cocoon- if you only go to one ?

PTH for me ..beter location..more to see..as previously mentioned a bit too "here I am , look at me"..haha

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Potato head versus Cocoon- if you only go to one ?

Went to potato head last week for the first time. Now I know why I have never been before. If you are happy to pay crazy prices and are interested in watching 'look at me' people, go for it. I much prefer to sit at a beach bar

Edited: 23 May 2013, 07:42
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Potato head versus Cocoon- if you only go to one ?

We much prefer Cocoon,smaller and not as crowded and the tapas and cocktails are great.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
244 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Potato head versus Cocoon- if you only go to one ?

not been to both so cant compare them sorry...but we've been to PH 3 times & love the look and feel of it. our visit this year we felt the food wasnt quite as fabulous as the year before but the menu had changed & maybe just wasn't so much on it that we wanted to eat. the cocktail menu astounding and yes with some astounding prices to go with it. but still cheaper and more inventive than what I can have here in little old adelaide. there's plenty to choose from in food and drink, relaxed beach vibe with dj on weekends, grab a day bed, order up and relax and people watch, or swim in the pool. we take 2 kids with us & always find the staff helpful & friendly. we love the atmosphere on a weekend for a few hours before sunset when the hoardes pile in. have fun.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Potato head versus Cocoon- if you only go to one ?

We made it to PH just the one visit and really enjoyed the stunning funky architecture. Sat out by the water on day bed. Only had the one bintang each (surprise surprise) People watched and just enjoyed the experience. Haven't heard of Cocoon but will definitely go in October this year.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Potato head versus Cocoon- if you only go to one ?

I'm definitely in the PH camp. I even had my birthday meal there last year. Gorgeous at sunset and not too expensive (although, I am from Perth where a meal is usually around $40 a main anyway).

Try the millionaire martini, definitely a winner :)

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Brisbane
Level Contributor
774 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Potato head versus Cocoon- if you only go to one ?

Try Kudeta, it's right next door to Potato head.