We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family activities/tap water & kids/ basketball clothing

Belgium
Level Contributor
47 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Family activities/tap water & kids/ basketball clothing

Hello,

We will shortly be travelling to Bali with our 8 & 18 year old sons. We will be staying in Tabanan area, Lovina, Munduk, Sidemen, Ubud & Sanur. We would appreciate any tips for activities that we can do as a family and that will appeal to both boys.

I am also wondering how I can make sure that the 8 year old will not drink water from the tap. At home he tends to drink from the shower while he's under it. I can remind him but I'm afraid he'll forget and get Bali belly.

Does anyone know if and where we can buy children's basketball clothing ?

Thanks for your advice !

H.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,526 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family activities/tap water & kids/ basketball clothing

If you are passing through Bedugal on your way to any of those places (not sure which route you will take), then Treetops adventure park would be amazing for at least your hubby and sons. Different circuts to suit each.

If you aren't into it then you could watch whilst in the lovely gardens underneath.

Snorkling in Lovina area and just exploring the beach of this fishing village is lovely.

Sanur has the boarwalk beach path, you can hire bikes to cycle along that. Also do watersports over in Sanur.

In Ubud, you have the monkey forest (go in the afternoon when they are more full and less naughty, don't pat or feed and keep everything zipped away). Also not far from Taro elephant park or the zoo or the bird park.

You can also be picked up to do the bike rides through the village, it ends in Ubud. There are a few, we did Bali Baik bike ride.

Regarding the water......you can pop a shower cap over the tap in the wash basin so thats a reminder and maybe put a sign (laminated ?) in the shower saying don't drink water.

Have a great trip.

Edited: 28 May 2013, 00:48
Belgium
Level Contributor
47 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family activities/tap water & kids/ basketball clothing

Thanks for the tips.

Bali Tree Tops sound like fun for both our boys. Not sure about hubby, even less sure about myself... but visiting the gardens sounds great too. Do you think my eldest son could get surfing lessons in Sanur ? We'll be there for 3 nights. Or do we need to get ourselves to Kuta for that ? Snorkeling in Lovina is already on our wish list, so is the monkey forest in Ubud and a bicycle ride, possibly the elephant park.

The shower cap or anything else blocking immediate acces to the tap so that he has to stop and think is a good idea. Is it really an issue if he drinks a sip by accident ?

Any ideas about basketball clothing for kids ?

Sydney
Level Contributor
816 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family activities/tap water & kids/ basketball clothing

We protected our daughter (& us!) by tying a plastic bag over the sink spout. She was banned from showers unless there was one of those handheld ones that I would hold. So she would have a bath. The first year I used Milton tablets in the bath just in case but she got it after we talked about the water situation in the weeks before we went.

Three trips down & she's been fine. She was 4, 5 & then almost 7 so similar to your boy this last time.

I also made sure she had plenty of bottled water available for drinking & teeth cleaning that she could help herself to.

Have a great time! Mono

Maastricht, The...
Level Contributor
80 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family activities/tap water & kids/ basketball clothing

Lovina: I would not recommend the snorkeling in Lovina itself, because the corals are dead. For the best snorkeling experience you can easily drive up to Menjangan Island (car: 1 hr + small boat 20 minutes). We do this everytime we are in Lovina. Guides and snorkeling stuff is included, just ask at your accommodation, or at the Spice Beach Club. This is a new beachclub who works together with Spice Dive (might be nice for you as well, to visit the beachclub because it is the only place in Lovina with sunbeds on the beach + the boys can hang out in the pool).

Other tips:

-Dolphins: take a fishermens boat to see the dolphins. I know a great guy who organizes this at the best rate: astawa_wayan@hotmail.com

-Visiting the Banjar holy hotwatersprings

-Visit the authentic local villages, just ask any driver to take you into the mountains. This has been one of our best experiences

-Singaraja market (allthough this might be a bit dull for the boys)

-Have the boys go out for a fishing trip (same guy, Wayan, can arrange this for you) while you go to

a spa : )

-Jungle walk: we did a (very easy) hike of just 2 hrs, before snorkeling (this is in the same area as Menjangan), it was amazing: friendly monkeys (not like the crazy ones in Ubud), giant squirrels, varans and many more!

Have fun!

Belgium
Level Contributor
47 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family activities/tap water & kids/ basketball clothing

Thanks Mono, I think I will actually put a plastic bag / showercap over the tap. And make sure his big brother pays attention too because they will be sharing a room. Taking a bath instead of a shower is not a solution I'm afraid because I have caught him drinking from the water whilst in the bath too (yuck ! I know..). Loved your JBR report btw ! :)

Dag Shirley, Great tips for Lovina ! Was the jungle walk + guide included when you booked the snorkeling trip to Menjangan or did you do the hike by yourselves ? I'll check the Spice Beach Club. I am hoping that the beach & pool near our hotel (The Lovina) will be clean and have sunbeds as well though. Singaraja : I'd love to go to the market... but as usual it'll have to be a quick visit with my 3 men. Do you mean an open air market or a supermarket ? If open air - is it there every day ? Anything in particular that you found interesting to buy or look at ? We'll go see the dolphins for sure. Fishing - depends on our snorkeling and dolpin experience... hubby and I got seasick the last time we were at sea. However that was the Atlantic Ocean. I'm hoping for calmer waters this time. Banjar : is it nice to have a swim there ? Or should we expect overcrowded, not so clean, ... (just remembering other hot spring experiences in other countries...)

Thanks everyone for the great advice !

Maastricht, The...
Level Contributor
80 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family activities/tap water & kids/ basketball clothing

No, actually we did not know about this jungle walk when we went to Menjangan for snorkeling, but the snorkeling guide told us about it and it was too late to do it the same day However, it is possible to do this the same day. Our villa manager arranges this with a guide called Wayan at Menjangan (but I don't have contactdetails for this Wayan). He is the best, also for snorkeling. He can spot any animal from very far ahead and point it out to you. And with snorkeling, I went with 2 friends of mine; one was scared of fish (?!) the other was scared of snorkeling : ) but the guide was extremely understanding and helpful which was nice for them (as I was only laughing very loud).

To be honest, I don't know The Lovina very well because they just opened a week after my last visit but it looked good (huge hotel, unusual for Lovina, that's why I know it).

Singaraja: it is a daily market (both open air and indoors) with spices, herbs, fabrics, clothes etc. Just nice to see. I always buy fruit, nuts, pastry and krupuk but then again, we are in a villa so probably not very useful in a hotel.

Best schedule: Singaraja market in the morning, then have lunch in one of the four restaurants on the water, at the harbour and then visit the Sekumpul waterfalls (this is a climb of 300 stairs down and 300 stairs back up, with a local guide, costs almost nothing, best views ever and you can swim under the waterfalls).

Banjar: my friends went in for a dip, I didn't. It did not look very appealing to me, but it is nice to see. And within 10 minutes driving you can find the only Buddhist temple of Bali (it is a smaller version of the Borobodur in Java). However, I am not sure whether children would like this, maybe it is a bit boring for them.....

Have a great holiday, enjoy! And let me know how The Lovina was (we are opening an accommodation next week, in Lovina so I need to find out everything about our competition : ))

Belgium
Level Contributor
47 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family activities/tap water & kids/ basketball clothing

Thnx, Shirley. I'll ask around once we get there for the jungle trek + snorkeling.

Good luck with your new business !

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,526 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family activities/tap water & kids/ basketball clothing

The Singaraja markets are very very crowded and very very hot so just be aware it;s not the most comfortable experience although it is interesting :)

Snorkling, well no it;s not excellent as Menanjan to the west and Talumben to the east is.......but we managed to see fish and turtles once out a few meters and on most days.

Hot Springs...we did go for a dip just to experience, but the smell bothered me a lot :(

Regarding the water...I always advise against their water at all costs...however there seems to be many that brush their teeth in the water with no problems.

Swallowing it from taking a sip in the shower might be a different ball game though. But your son is 8 and old enough to be told that it can make him very sick and as I said, maybe make a laminated waterproof sign to put on the shower wall or something.

Belgium
Level Contributor
47 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family activities/tap water & kids/ basketball clothing

Perthlovetotravel : Yeah, I'm expecting crowded and very hot... I can take that... my men however don't like shopping very much. I'll have to compensate :)

My son will certainly understand that it can make him sick but he can be quite distracted at times..

Shirley : do you happen to know if there's any swimming in Spice Beach Club at night ? Or is that not done while people are having dinner ? Is there anything similar - laid back, food, music, swimming - in Sanur ?

Maastricht, The...
Level Contributor
80 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family activities/tap water & kids/ basketball clothing

I'm not sure about swimming during dinner, but I guess they won't mind....just ask them if it is okay...In Sanur I don't know, but I guess there are some beachclubs as well...