We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Bali alone or not going........?

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Bali alone or not going........?

Hi everybody,

it seems it's over with my BF with whom I was going to come....

I don't know what to do.... Come alone or cancel my trip....

I'm interested in yoga and have heard there are yoga retreats organised. Anybody an idea please ?

Would have loved to tour the whole island and also go to Lombok, Gili,....

Thanks.

Sylvie

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,541 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Bali alone or not going........?

I am so sorry for your breakup but living well is the best "revenge..." a good time for you to look at refreshing your life and having the peace and tranquility in a new travel environment.

There are many single travellers in Bali, and many of them come to Ubud for yoga retreats and wonderful spa treatments. Look at Taksu in Ubud for any retreats, or at Intuitive Flow by Linda Madani for some of the most popular and reputable organizations. You can also do a google search for alternatives, or many times you can just turn up and get a packakge of yoga sessions. Again, there are many places in Ubud and they vary in price and facilities....there's something for every budget.

Hopefully by the time you actually get here you will feel better about your new found independence and will really enjoy spreading your wings in Bali! good luck, what ever you decide to do.

Perth
Level Contributor
187 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Bali alone or not going........?

Go alone and head to a lovely yoga retreat in ubud

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Bali alone or not going........?

Thanks Fiona, I need a good break...

Have you had any there ? just as recommendation ? I've looked on the internet but not in depth yet...

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Bali alone or not going........?

Thanks a lot Ubudpuppy :-)

And thanks for the recommendations !

I enjoy being alone but it's just being in a strange country alone which bothers me a bit although I have read that Bali is a very safe place. And he is Indonesian so he was going to show me the sites..... :-(

Kalgoorlie-Boulder...
Level Contributor
237 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Bali alone or not going........?

Going away is really good when you need to get perspective and you will meet a lot of new people when you by yourself. There are lots of Yoga retreats have a look at Takso and the Yoga Barn. You can do what you feel like, when you feel like it...at your never know who you will meet. I went overseas (being from Germany) for 6 months after a break up and I am still in Australia 15 years later, having met my soul mate on the other site of the world. Enjoy the possibilities!

Perth
Level Contributor
187 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Bali alone or not going........?

I'd go with what Ubudpuppy recommended, i haven't been to an actual retreat before but i'm thinking about it next year alone.

My plan for next year is to go to Ubud for a retreat followed by a couple of days in Sanur.

I hope this helps give you some ideas and i think it's great idea to help you move on!

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,541 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Bali alone or not going........?

Sylvb: Balinese are very friendly and you don't need your boyfriend to show you the sights..you can do everything here that you would have done with your boyfriend..see a small village, meet lovely people, do your yoga, rafting,dance performances, see art and temples..etc etc...the Balinese are always happy to meet new people.

The first time I came to Bali it was by myself, and I ended up staying for almost 20 years, so it must be a nice place to be! Although I am not saying you will want a new boyfriend, you will meet TOO MANY young men who will be more than happy to be a "special friend." (not that I am suggesting it...just preparing you for the many proposals you will receive) :)

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Bali alone or not going........?

hi

go on your own! I go to indo a number of times on my own. you end up meeting a lot of people and do what you feel like doing.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Bali alone or not going........?

Thanks so much for all your very sweet messages and the support :-)

I had tears in my eyes as I was reading your replies....

I'll look into a long yoga retreat (I'll be there for 1 month !!!) and ways to spoil myself such as spas and massages (I'm a single mum with a heavy teenager son) and I can use the break !

You all gave me a big lift :-)

THANKS AGAIN !

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Bali alone or not going........?

I have travelled alone a couple of times as well and really enjoy it...There are so many independant travellers in Bali..I like to stay in busy areas so I can do plenty of shopping and meet other people..Seminyak would be a great option as well..have fun

Edited: 05 June 2013, 23:11