We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which location better for snorkeling ?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Which location better for snorkeling ?

Hi everyone would like to get everyone precious opinion. which location is better for snorkeling? Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA or Liberty Dive Resort? I am bringing my parents for first time snorkeling and my dad is not very good in swimming. We will hire some guide. Hope to hear from you all soon :) thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA
Matahari Tulamben...
732 Reviews
Tulamben, Indonesia
Liberty Dive Resort
Liberty Dive Resort
406 Reviews
Tulamben, Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
831 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which location better for snorkeling ?

They sound like more serious scuba diving places. You can go snorkeling off the shore at Jemeluk Bay for an introduction to see if your Dad likes it. Gear can be hired for a couple of dollars from several places, we got gear from Blue Star cafe which is also a great spot for a drink.

Mentioned in this post
Jemeluk Beach
Jemeluk Beach
788 Reviews
Amed, Indonesia
Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which location better for snorkeling ?

I agree that you should maybe think about staying somewhere that is not focused on diving if this is a first time experience for all of you. There is great snorkelling in places along the Amed stretch of coast. As well as Jemeluk mentioned above, there is Lipah Bay which has lots of accommodation options and plenty of snorkelling gear for hire and "guides" and the other one I have experienced is Bunutan which has great coral, a couple of accommodation options including the incomparable Kampong private joglos.

Mentioned in this post
Jemeluk Beach
Jemeluk Beach
788 Reviews
Amed, Indonesia
Lipah Beach
Lipah Beach
221 Reviews
Amed, Indonesia
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
7,894 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which location better for snorkeling ?

Tulamben snorkelling is great and Matahari is right on the water with the coral gardens right there. You will find clownfish (nemo) in just a few feet of water. Matahari usually have a rope from the beach and into the water to help guide you in.

I'm not sure about the other places you asked about, but don't think they are absolute waterfront.

Other waterfront resorts are Mimpi (next to Matahari on one side) and Paradise Cottages on the other side, also Tauch Terminal.

You can snorkel almost anywhere along Tulamben bay, but try to avoid full or dark moon as there can be more swell.

Mentioned in this post
Tulamben
Tulamben
Bali, Indonesia
Matahari Beach Resort & Spa
Matahari Beach Resort...
610 Reviews
Pemuteran, Indonesia
Mimpi Resort Tulamben
Mimpi Resort Tulamben
200 Reviews
Tulamben, Indonesia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which location better for snorkeling ?

We were first time snorkelers and stayed in Jemeluk so we could give it a go, the bay there is really calm and you see fish and coral as soon as you enter the water. Just ask someone for advice on the tide times - if it's too low you end up too close the the coral.

Mentioned in this post
Jemeluk Beach
Jemeluk Beach
788 Reviews
Amed, Indonesia
nuneaton
Level Contributor
669 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which location better for snorkeling ?

snorklings best done in the sea,

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,838 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which location better for snorkeling ?

I agree with cbimages.

We went to talumben and yes all the way along you can snorkle safetly without a guide. Just hire the stuff for about 25 000, so cheap.

The fish are like thigh deep and it's like being in an aquarium.

The wreck is not far from shore at all and you can snorkle over the top easily, when we did it there was a big lobster in it watching us LOL :)

There are always divers around and plenty of people selling wreck t shirts and the cafe selling food. Plus accomodation....all there right on the beach.

If your father is not very good at swimming.....I would advise he stay just thigh deep and swim the shore line and he can see plenty of fish. You can swim out to the wreck.

Edited: 12 June 2013, 01:15
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
7,894 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which location better for snorkeling ?

for your father, you could rent a divers BCD, this is a buoyancy vest and he could wear it to keep him afloat and take away the worry of him sinking, probably well worth the extra cost for peace of mind

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which location better for snorkeling ?

Dear all, thanks so much for ur precious idea ...seem like amed got more vote for snorkelling for first time ...yea...coz my concern also my father is not a good swimmer so i need to find somewhere that is easier to snorkel and same time he can enjoy the activity too ....i will hire those equipment and the life jacket too .... Anybody have any suggestion on the accommodation that i can consider around that area for 4 adults ? will u guys suggest i find the hotel with the snorkelling service or just go to any beaches that can rent the equipment? Another thing ..how can i check about the high tide and low tide at that area?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which location better for snorkeling ?

It seems that there nice beaches along the Amed area. How does it compared with Lembongan Island? just want to do some snorkelling with my kids? Does it worth to take a boat trip to the island?

I will stay in Sanur, can combine the Amed with Kintamani (not sunrise hiking trip) for a day trip?

Thanks,

Ben

Mentioned in this post
Lembongan Island - Day Tour
Lembongan Island - Day...
51 Reviews
Nusa Lembongan, Indonesia
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Amed
Amed
Abang, Indonesia
Kintamani
Kintamani
Bangli, Indonesia
Denver, Colorado
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which location better for snorkeling ?

My husband and I are travelling to Bali in late Oct/early November. We love to snorkel and scuba dive. We are trying to decide if Seminyak or Nusa Dua is a better place to stay? We have Starwood points to use, so it’s one of the two locations. Does either place have beaches you can snorkel from? Is it easier to scuba dive from a shop near Nusa Dua or Seminyak? Any help is much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua
Nusa Dua Peninsula, Indonesia