We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another first timer

8 posts
Save Topic
another first timer

Hi there! I'm another first timer wanting to travel to bali by myself, 19 yr old female. The information I've read so far is awesome but VERY overwhelming. My wants are few....not a bar hopper, but LOVE the beach and could spend most days there reading a good book and chatting with locals.

I would prefer staying in one hotel the whole 3 - 4 weeks I'm there, but I also don't want to be isolated from everything. I also don't like large fancy expensive hotels.

Can someone PLEASE narrow down where I should START looking so I can start planning my trip. Thank you

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: another first timer

I would start looking in either Sanur or Seminyak.

I personally like Sanur - quiet but with enough restaurants, bars, shops and spas to keep you entertained.

Others will say Sanur is too quiet, it all depends what you want.

Wherever you stay it is easy to get a driver to take you sightseeing around the island.

Have fun

Torquay Vic
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: another first timer

Hi. That's a pretty long time to stay in one place. Personally l'd get restless and want to move on.

Have you considered staying in a few different places? Last year we went to Nusa Lembongan, Ubud and Sanur in one holiday and then to Candidasa and Ubud when was lucky enough to go again in 2012. This year we will go to Lombok, Gili air and Lovina.

I guess it's different for you being on your own and you want to be secure. Just some food for thought.

In Sanur we stayed at Tamukami - this was a delightful small hotel.

REgards,

Rippe4

8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: another first timer

thank you sooooo much!!!!

8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: another first timer

"Nusa Lembongan, Ubud and Sanur in one holiday"....how long was your holiday?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
921 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: another first timer

Hi, we are heading to bali for a month in August, we are staying in legian, lovina, amed, candidasa and back to legian, i agree 3-4 weeks in 1 hotel is too long, have done 3 weeks in one hotel and went stircrazy. Reckon sanur would be a good start

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
921 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: another first timer

Hi, we are heading to bali for a month in August, we are staying in legian, lovina, amed, candidasa and back to legian, i agree 3-4 weeks in 1 hotel is too long, have done 3 weeks in one hotel and went stircrazy. Reckon sanur would be a good start

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: another first timer

Maybe look at Sanur, Legian, Seminyak. Nusa Lembongan is an island only a short fast boat ride from Sanur. If you decide to stay in more than one place then also take a look at Amed in East Bali. Quieter than the other places but the local people are very friendly & it's a great place to snorkel, chill & relax. It's approx 2 1/2+ hrs drive from Legian.

Maastricht, The...
Level Contributor
80 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: another first timer

Hi, we just came back from Bali and did:

Lovina: which is the best place for meeting locals, everyone is very open and not pushy to sell things, it is still very authentic and nice things to do in the area

Gili Trawangan: took fastboat Kuda Hitam from Amed. Gili Islands have the best beaches, very tropical, white sand, but will be too many bars for you (allthough the northern part is very quiet), so maybe you better visit the calmer islands: Gili Air or Gili Meno.

Ubud: allthough no beaches, it is a fantastic place to be, very mystical, great environment to find yourself reading a book on a platform above a ricefield, while enjoying a fresh fruitjuice

And then we went back to Lovina.

On previous visits over the last 2 years we visited Seminyak (loud, not nice, not really Bali), Kuta (same, but even louder), Jimbaran (nice beaches but quite boring). My parents go to Sanur a lot, many elderly people visit Sanur.

Have fun!

Sydney
Level Contributor
821 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: another first timer

What an amazing 3-4 weeks you will have! Travel safe though.

If it were me I might just book the first weekish and see how I went with meeting people & how I enjoyed the 1st spot.

Maybe Legian could be a good spot to start as there's plenty going on but not crazy like Kuta. This will get you used to the climate, currency & general vibe of the tourist parts.

From there I suggest you plan on moving elsewhere to a place like Ubud for another dimension - BEAUTIFUL mountain experience still with lots going on. Maybe then you'll want more beach time so head north to Lovina, or east to Amed or south east to nusa lembongan for some sun surf & maybe snorkeling/diving. From there sanur is a good choice for relaxing by the beach but with cheap eats, spas & a short taxi ride if you need to head back to the west part to Legian or seminyak.

This was all what I would do if I were 19 again : ))))

All the very best, enjoy it all & be very safe x

Mono

8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: another first timer

thanks so much for the great advise!!