We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rabies vac required now for Bali?

Downpatrick, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rabies vac required now for Bali?

Hi Folks,

My wife and I are heading to Bali in September and want to know do we need the rabies vaccination or not? We have been to Thailand in 2009 and had most of the shots then but didn't need rabies. The nhs doesn't fund the rabies course and it's a 3 course vaccination so need to start thinking about it now before it's too late.

We are staying in Sanur, and maybe will take a few day trips around the island. Don't want to go near monkeys!

Regards,

Mick.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rabies vac required now for Bali?

I would say you do not need a rabies vaccination. I've been to Bali many times, including to the monkey forest, and haven't come close to being bitten by anything other than mozzies.

In the unlikely event of getting bitten by a monkey or dog I believe you can get the shots retrospectively.

I am not a doctor though so if you are unsure maybe you should seek professional advice rather than relying on amateurs like me :)

SansSouci
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rabies vac required now for Bali?

I quote from a print out re vaccination Recommendations for travel to Indonesia

Rabies: All travellers IF you might be exposed to wild or domestic animals through your work or recreation.

Travellers to Bali and other areas of Indonesia are strongly advised to avoid direct contact with dogs, cats, monkeys & other animals that carry the disease. If your activities in Bali will bring you into contact with animals such as dogs, cats, bats or other carnivores, you should consider pre-exposure rabies vaccination.

Contact as in touching/feeding etc or working/caring for dogs at BARC Bali Dog Adoption centre.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rabies vac required now for Bali?

Hi,

As far as I know no one has yet heard of a Monkey infected with rabies in Bali. Dogs yes and the culling has been massive over the past few years.

The final decision rests with you, all we can give is our opinion and what we choose for ourselves and our families for those who have one.

I do not worry about it, I just keep an eye out for dogs in the street and that's it.

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rabies vac required now for Bali?

As mentioned it is a personal decision.

The rabies vaccine is a series of three injections over 3 or 4 months.

In Australia it is quite expensive.

As with all medical concerns consult your doctor.

For general tourists in the main areas the risk is very low.

The monkey colonies are closely monitored for any infections.

Mick: Ps Just did a tour of Ireland and Downpatrick was very interesting.

5. Re: Rabies vac required now for Bali?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 06:18