We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not Happy Virgin

Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
272 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Not Happy Virgin

Booked good price Virgin seats about 2 months ago. At the time I had limited funds so I booked the flights only. Today I called them to add leg room seats for my 6f 5" husband. I am aware of the cost and am more than happy to pay the $65 for the seats. At the end of the phone call I was informed that there is also a $35 per person service charge, bringing the total cost to $200 and not the $130 I was expecting. Don't know if it is just me but I find this so greedy. Didn't book the seats as I couldn't bring myself to agree. Poor hubby will find this a long flight.

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
3,248 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not Happy Virgin

Unfortunately, that is how it works. Carriers try to keep costs down by encouraging online seat selections and payments. By calling and taking up a 'persons' time they hit you with the charge.

As you are aware, doing it at the time of booking negates this issue and also saves you from the extra service charge including the hidden CC charge again.

Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
272 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not Happy Virgin

I know now. Last time I booked online at a later date and paid the $65. I am the queen of keeping the costs down but I think taking away the online option of seat selection at a later date is a blatant money grab. Oh well, live and learn.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,017 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not Happy Virgin

Ask when you check in if there are any other seats available and compare the cost.

West Darlington
Level Contributor
92 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not Happy Virgin

Not greedy - just the way it works. If you want to change anything after your original booking take a deep breath and cling on to your credit card! Had this experience recently when I had to change something with Jetstar. But have had many cheap flights where I've been grateful for the low cost system and have abided by the golden rule of not changing anything and sticking to the published rules and procedures.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not Happy Virgin

I didnt get the option for seat selection in Feb when I booked cheap flights with Virgin. Last week I emailed them and asked for a window seat in the mid section of the plane and they obliged and gave me the seat allocation for the 3 sectors Adl - Per, Per - Dps, Dps - Adl. no charge.

Mentioned in this post
Bali Ngurah Rai Airport
Bali Ngurah Rai Airport
Denpasar, Indonesia
Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
272 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not Happy Virgin

Wasn't a sale ticket and I am not trying to change anything. Just trying to take advantage of a service that has, until recently, been a service offered online. I was just a bit shocked at the price hike for making a call.

Queensland
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not Happy Virgin

I think a $35/pp service charge is just ridiculous. I think Current Affair (on one of those shows) did a report on the actual price of the credit card surcharge and it was nothing like these airlines charge.

I recently bought tickets from Darwin to Bali on sale for May and the original price was about $130/pp return... when luggage (for 1 person), seat and cc charges were added it took the total cost to $370. Still a bargain, but come on!

Also, how dare they charge for a 'standard seat' selection. I get the extra charge if you want extra leg room, but a separate $5 charge per seat is a rip off. What if you don't want to pay this? Will they still let you stand in the aisles (an idea I think Ryan Air tried to float a few years ago)?

Mentioned in this post
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not Happy Virgin

Yeah I think it's pretty pathetic having to pay to choose a standard seat also. Yeah yeah, budget airline blah blah blah but really.

And the CC charge per person is absolutely ridiculous. It comes on my statement as 1 transaction so how the hell do they think it's a legit action to charge a fee per person.

Does that mean also that if we need to up our luggage when leaving our holiday destination that it is going to be a ridiculous cost as well??

Maybe try emailing like Caroline!! Worth a try.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not Happy Virgin

Re the baggage it is a ridiculous exercise now. No changing on line, only at the airport for $85.00 per bag or on phone for $100.00 per bag.

Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
272 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not Happy Virgin

Bit the bullet and called back to book. Got a different operator and paid only the $65. Have checked my CC and only $65????