We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you bring DVDs from Bali into the USA through customs?

Scottsbluff...
1 post
Save Topic
Can you bring DVDs from Bali into the USA through customs?

I have gotten maybe 70 DVDs from Bali on my recent holiday there. I live in the United States but am visiting my family so am still in Australia. Will the DVDs make it through customs in the US? Is there a way to make it more likely that they will make it through? I know it is easy to get them into Australia but not sure about the USA. Thanks for all info.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
847 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you bring DVDs from Bali into the USA through customs?

Hi racheal I'm also from Australia so I'm not 100% on the American law, It's actually prohibited to being then into Australia but customs always have turned a blind eye to me and my family I would think you would be ok as there for personal use, but all you can do is try really :-)

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you bring DVDs from Bali into the USA through customs?

Technically speaking, it is illegal to bring them into Australia and the US. However, in smaller quantities, there is usually no issues. There is no magic trick, just luck as to whether the Customs crew are feeling 100% policy driven that day.

We have taken 20-30 DVD's through LAX last year and customs saw them and just kept rifling through the bag without saying anything. But a friend of ours had their DVD's confiscated at SFO, but that was probably because she had over 200 of them.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you bring DVDs from Bali into the USA through customs?

My experience in Austalia is that it is not an issue, they normally have an issue if you have commercial quantities, so one of each movie or episode is not an problem

However I cannot speak for the US border patrol agencies as they are often strict. Is there any way you can download them onto a usb stick to a laptop or ipad before you leave Australia - they would have nil issue with them then, as they would not know if you paid full price or if they were pirated versions

4. Re: Can you bring DVDs from Bali into the USA through customs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 05:17