We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is formaldehyde (formalin) still being used in the food?

Melbourne, Australia
13 posts
Save Topic
Is formaldehyde (formalin) still being used in the food?

Was doing some reading and found out that in 2005 formaldehyde was being used in some regions of Indonesia as a food additive/preservative, it was called the 2005 Indonesian food scare ( …wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Indonesia_food_scare ). Just found another piece of info ( antaranews.com/en/news/74626/formaldehyde-la… ) saying that food was again found containing formaldehyde in some regions of Indonesia. Is this Issue still a problem in Indonesia? Has Bali ever been affected by this? In low doses it could cause burning in the eyes, nose and throat, as well as coughing and nausea, In higher concentrations formaldehyde was capable of causing vomiting, kidney problems, coma and even death ( smh.com.au/news/…1136771495164.html ). Sorry I don't mean to scare anyone just wondering and hoping Bali has not been effected by this, I'm heading over there soon and would really like to enjoy a good Balinese meal.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,581 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is formaldehyde (formalin) still being used in the food?

Just go and enjoy yourself. We have been going there for years, like most people on this forum and have never been affected by this. Sometimes too much information from the internet does really not help anyone.

Cheers

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is formaldehyde (formalin) still being used in the food?

I think you will lose a lot of weight in Bali, You won't drink, you won't eat. Have you found an article on the dangers of massage yet :) :)

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,712 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is formaldehyde (formalin) still being used in the food?

As far as I know, that issue has been resolved, as there were prosecutions for people found selling and/or manufacturing food items with formalin.

Also, the primary food item was the Bakso that are sold in street carts. since they are made, stored and sold without refrigeration, the formalin was added to keep them ok for sales for several days in the carts.

If you eat "normal" food in restaurants and avoid Bakso I'm pretty sure you will be safe. Just avoid the street carts where people are pushing them along the road selling Bakso.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is formaldehyde (formalin) still being used in the food?

Most western people would get the belly if they ate off the food carts - as there is no refrigeration etc

sydney
Level Contributor
66 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is formaldehyde (formalin) still being used in the food?

Im told they still put it in Bintang.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is formaldehyde (formalin) still being used in the food?

I'm sure if it was still in Bintang a fair few people on this forum would have mentioned it.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
921 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is formaldehyde (formalin) still being used in the food?

I heard that to Scotty from an ex pat living there, I haven't drunk bin tang for years now (San Miguel light and normal) are my preferred choice along with carlsberg to break it up. Bin tang gives me a shocking hangover nowadays

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is formaldehyde (formalin) still being used in the food?

http://www.beer-faq.com/formaldehyde-beer/

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is formaldehyde (formalin) still being used in the food?

They also use formaldehyde to preserve bodies, so at least you will get a free facial included in the meal.

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is formaldehyde (formalin) still being used in the food?

An article in a local newspaper last week claimed that formaldehyde was found in a large number of dried fish samples at a large popular supermarket. The supermarket denied any responsibility and said they were checking with their supplier, so yes it is still obviously a problem but one local authorities are trying to deal with.