We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lots of questions

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Lots of questions

First time in Bali in September and have lots of questions, staying at Nusa Dua at Grand Mirage

Are the room safes really safe, I want to put my ipad, passports and money in it?

Are the brands in the pharmacies the same as what we would buy in Australia eg. Johnson & Johnson or Olay?

Anyone know if you can buy Body Shop Products, Clinque Products or Napolean Perdis Products anywhere?

Is it worth a trip to see Echo Beach?

Should I buy alcohol when leaving Australia or going into Bali?

I read lots of stuff about dodgy money exchangers, so why not just get it all changed in Australia before going?

Will probably have lots more questions later :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lots of questions

Hi,

We always bring a bottle of wine with us. You are only allowed ONE bottle per person. Wine is expensive in Bali so buy a good one to take to Bali.

Use your ATM card in Bali so you don't have to worry about changing money. There are plenty of ATM machines all over Bali.

We stayed at Nusa Dua & found it to be incredibly safe.. so no worries just makes sure you put your valuables locked in the safe as you would anywhere in the world.

I always bring carry my own cosmetics with me so I'm not sure what's available. Others will be able to advice you.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lots of questions

Take some cash with you as you will get a much better rate in Bali than you will in Oz.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lots of questions

Ok, in order of your questions:

The room safes are as safe as the staff are honest. I don't want to scare you but those safes are able to be opened by staff members if they know how, but in over 30 trips to Bali I have only ever heard of one room safe being broken into and I only heard 1 side of the story. To be honest, I no longer use them, and have never had anything stolen from my room.

Some Johnson and Johnson products are readily available, other of their products are available but only in selected stores like Carrefour etc. Olay is widely available and much, much cheaper than here.

I've never seen Body Shop products or Napolean Perdis but I also haven't been looking for them. Most of the more common cosmetic products are available from the larger department stores but be aware if they have use by dates to check them. Their turn over of some of these products may be an issue.

Echo Beach is lovely but it's personal choice if it's worth it. For me.......yes, and I also take any friends there who are on their first trip to Bali. Sunday nights they have a great live band (get there early or book a table) but they have the seafood BBQ every night.

There is no duty free on arrival in Denpasar, so if you want spirits definitely buy them in Australia before you leave. The limit is 1 LITRE per person, but the 1.125l bottles sold duty free here are allowed as your 1 litre. If you are bringing in wine and there are 3 or more of you, you are still allowed your 1 litre (3 people = 4 bottles). But there is a new local wine called Plaga available now that tastes great and is becoming very popular because it's sold at a reasonable price as well. The need to bring in your own wine may now be a thing of the past.

Have a look in the Top Questions about Bali section on the right hand side of this page. Here you will find heaps of great info but especially details of how to find an honest money changer and how to avoid being ripped off by a dishonest one. Bank fees can work out very expensive using only ATM's. DON'T change your money here in Australia before you go unless money is no object to you. The exchange rate you will get is considerably lower than you will get in Bali, and the sheer amount of notes you will need for your holiday is daunting and hard to carry.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lots of questions

There is no duty free on entry to Bali .

You can get Olay etc at the larger supermarket - it may be wotrth a trip to Kuta to visit Matahari they have Olay and Loreal and Nivea in the supermarket, and sell make up upstairs (not sure what brands)

As far as money goes if worried use ATM if you change money in Australia you will get a smaller exchange rate and probably also pay commission.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lots of questions

I love Echo Beach, very laid back vibe, great place to chill with a couple of cocktails and watch the surfers - so for me I'd say a visit is worth it.

I usually just take Aussie cash and change in Bali as needed (and keep the rest in that hotel safe). But our trips are usually only 3 or 4 days at a time.

DO NOT change money in Aus before you go - my parents recently did this and got an atrocious rate - if only they had asked me first! There are money changers at the airport where you can grab some Rupiah for airport taxis etc. The rate is slightly lower than in the tourist areas but not too bad.

Most of all just have fun.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lots of questions

Buy a bottle of spirits Duty Free if you drink it,, that is what is expensive,, wine is available for under $15.00 a bottle. Look for Plaga or Cape Discovery.

Edited: 27 July 2013, 12:38
Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lots of questions

Thanks for all the info so far, pretty much what I expected, I've spent a fair bit of time reading the forums. I've always had local currency with me when I've travelled overseas before (US, Fiji, Noumea, Vanuatu) I'm a bit reluctant to use ATM's overseas but will have a chat with my bank or may just take Aussie Dollars, I'll be taking thousands so may have to go for the money belt thing. Think I'll spend Sunday up at Echo Beach, just cause I loved the song in the 80's lol. Do any places actually accept Aussie Dollars, and how about using Visa cards (I've got a Debit card so it only has what I've put on it, so it I did get ripped off it would only be whatever is on it)

So looking forward to shopping, sight seeing and getting massages and pampered, oh and also turning 50 while I'm there :)

perth
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lots of questions

I always take cash and put it in the safe.

I always use money exchange (blue and red square logo) pt. central kuta money changers. they have branches everywhere, usually in small booths with airconditioning, sometimes in circle k stores or lobbies of busy hotels. they always have a monitor with all the currencies displayed and give you a printed receipt, which you have to sign for. there is definitely one near the grand mirage, cause I have used it.

mataharis always had a bodyshop section and I think kuta galleria has one too.

9. Re: Lots of questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 06:20