We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanur or seminyak?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Sanur or seminyak?

Hello!

We are newlyweds traveling to Bali on our honeymoon. We are staying in the monkey forest for few days and we would also like to stay somewhere on the beach. We would prefer privacy and quiet place. I should mention it's for few nights first week of Sept. Any recommendations?

Australia
Level Contributor
616 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanur or seminyak?

Hi Dee ! :-) If you want peace & quite.....beach view to die for......white sands......stunning accom...look at "Anantara Uluwatu Resort" OR "The Point" out on Nusa Lembongan, get fast boat out from Sanur 16kms off coast, amazing snorkelling here. Look at reviews on here. The beach is Sanur is very ordinary.... Seminyak is total madness, busy, busy, not restful at all.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 14:22
London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanur or seminyak?

Out of the two, I'd always choose Seminyak. Sanur is quite boring to be honest- but then again: Seminyak seems very flashy. The resorts and beaches are to die for in Seminyak tough...

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,555 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanur or seminyak?

Hi Dee - You can have a quiet hotel/villa in the middle of busy Seminyak. So I think before recommending one resort over the other, I'd want a bit more information about what you want from the resort itself?

Seminyak is quite urban and built up, with horrendous traffic. On the positive it has good shopping, good restaurants (albeit a little too busy for my taste) and the beach is nice enough. By comparison, Sanur is fairly low rise and quiet, much more chilled out. The beach there is okay in my opinion, but then the beaches in Bali aren't as nice as the beaches in other parts of the world, such as Thailand or even Australia (although you're not having to watch out for killer jellyfish. Or killer sharks. Or killer crocodiles. Or the killer spiders. Or killer snakes...).

And are you dead set on these two resorts, or open to other suggestions?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanur or seminyak?

Hello, thank you all for your replies. We are staying in 1bed villa in the monkey forest and in senggigi also and would probably like the privacy else where too. We are open to any suggestions in regards to the beach side. We are looking for nice beach, nice restaurants, quiet and child free resort/vila. We will be flying to Lombok from wherever so it should be close enough to Denpasar airport. Thank you very much!

Australia
Level Contributor
616 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanur or seminyak?

I agree with "NoodleBoy"......Seminyak has some beautiful accom, and sensational eating places, & you can still have quite relaxing time.....but the beach is really average :-/. I would never go to Bali for its beaches, but I am one spoilt Australian, who has been lucky to survive everything, except the killer surfboard riders here ;-O lol. PS~ I still think you would love Uluwatu ! ;-)

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,984 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanur or seminyak?

Don't worry Dee. The killer jellyfish, sharks, spiders, snakes and crocodiles don't have passports so it's quite unusal for them to bother to try to make their way to Bali from Australia. About all you need to worry about in Bali is the drop bears. They can be quite deadly inn the middle of the night when one staggers back to one's accommodation after a few too many bintangs.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanur or seminyak?

Thanks :) the nusa lenbongan sounds great! How would we get onto the tiny island? We will carry big suitcases. We Will stay in the monkey forest first so would be going from there. I've heard the fast boats are not that great. That's why we've decided to flight between Bali and Lombok.

Seattle...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanur or seminyak?

Check out Canggu, very mellow. Also Candi Dasa and Padangbai on the east coast.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 16:06
Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,555 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanur or seminyak?

You're staying at the Monkey Forest eh? You can get to the Nusa Lembongan via a fast boat from Sanur. Scoot Cruises are the ones to look for, and they should offer a pick up from Ubud to Sanur, then get you on the boat with your big suitcases.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sanur or seminyak?

As much as I would love to go to Nusa Lembongan (looks beautiful!) it would be too much for us in terms of traveling.

We still haven't decided where to stay.. We would like to see as much of Bali as possible. I've checked the other places you all recommended and it all seems good for surfers only (we aren't :-)) I understand Bali isn't about the beach so if we are staying in Ubud for 3 nights, where else is good to go to see different side of Bali? We are not keen on the nightlife.

Also, once we are in Ubud what day trips should we do? Any recommendation on a travel company which has good knowledgeble tour guides?

Many thanks in advance!