We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garuda flights from Brisbane! !

sunshine coast...
Level Contributor
656 posts
Save Topic
Garuda flights from Brisbane! !

Hi all has anyone flown with Garuda from Brisbane yet? Maybe not as they didn't start flying till 4 weeks ago on the 1st August .Apparently they are the smaller planes, .......Thanks :-)

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garuda flights from Brisbane! !

Hi mooloolaba, Unfortunately the Garuda planes out of Brisbane to Denpasar are the same as Virgin, Boeing 737-800. Two toilets at the back and a narrow aisle. We are no better off than before.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garuda flights from Brisbane! !

well you are better off :-

more choice

maybe better competition on fares

garuda has better in flight service

a bigger plane would be nice but .......

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
583 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garuda flights from Brisbane! !

How is the comparison in cost?...we would love to fly full service with our children if a deal comes up. Flying virgin as a couple I could bear...but I felt sorry for all the familys on board...too cramped, long lines for toilets and they ran out early on of food to purchase on both flights I travelled on. I saw families buying crackers and cheese for their kids dinners as there was nothing else left...

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garuda flights from Brisbane! !

On my particular flight dates in November Virgin is around $200 return cheaper than Garuda. I love flying Garuda and was really looking forward to them starting up their Bris/Denpasar flight again. It was such a disappointment to find the planes are the same as Virgin. How any airline can have 1 toilet for 8 business class passengers and 2 toilets for 168 economy class passengers is beyond me.

Also remember that Virgin are now serving meals as part of the ticket price, so there is no excuse to run out of food.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garuda flights from Brisbane! !

Almost every airline that uses a 737 with a business class section will be the same

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,672 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garuda flights from Brisbane! !

I just booked with Virgin for October, got a good sale (well decent considering only a month out) for $1300 return - 2 adults. Garuda was nearly $700 more than this.

Virgin saver fares now include food and baggage so I doubt they would run out of food now, knowing exactly how many passengers they need to feed. Before they probably guesstimated how many would buy food on the plane or bring some with them.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Garuda flights from Brisbane! !

For March Virgin are $300 per person cheaper. Know who I will be going with.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
583 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Garuda flights from Brisbane! !

Oh thanks for the info! Thats good to know virgin include a meal now...I was going to pack food for my kids if we flew with them to ensure they were not left hungry.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Garuda flights from Brisbane! !

Wow , how can the airline justify providing 1 toilet for every 84 passengers for a flight that looks like it takes close to 6 hours?

I have just checked the configuration of the Jetstar planes they use from Melbourne for a flight that is only approximately 40 minutes longer and they have 1 toilet for every 40 passengers, quite a difference!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
170 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Garuda flights from Brisbane! !

Does anyone know if they process the visa on flights from Brisbane or is it only the Sydney service?