We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jbr day 1

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
307 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
jbr day 1

This was my third trip to Bali. The first was in 2000 on new year’s day, friends thought we were crazy for booking it in November as some were convinced the world was going to end on December 31st 1999. Well it didn't... I next went to Bali many many years later in 2011 with friends.

There were so many changes in that 10 years!! My 3rd trip was august 2013 and again there were many changes in that 2 years.. the footpaths for one were a very welcome change!!

On this latest trip my sister was joining us for her first trip to Bali, Sylvia had often asked about Bali but was concerned about the heat. Over a few wines in august 2012 she told me she was coming with us next time, so when I got back to Perth I contacted the girls and the organising began. two friends also joined us Karen and Kim.

I had spent a lot of time on T/A gathering info, writing notes of where to go, eat etc as well at accommodation. HUGE thanks to everone on T/A

In Jan or feb of 2013 Jetstar had a sale, so I alerted the girls and flights were booked!!!

Sylvia arrived from Melbourne the Saturday before we left, unfortunately for her, our bathroom/kitchen & laundry renos were not quite complete, which had me stressed leaving hubby in a total mess. On the Tuesday most were complete but my craft room/computer room was still being used as our pantry, kitchen. and everything else.. but at lease we had running water in the kitchen and laundry again . the bathrroom was also usable by now.. just had no lights in there. or mirror. anyhooooo

I’m not usually a stressful person but to say I was stressed to the max and then some is an understatement.

anyway let the holiday begin,,,,

Wednesday august 21st

The Alarm went off at 4 am and for once I didn't roll over and go back to sleep. Sylvia and I were both showered and dressed ready to go to the airport by the time hubby was ready for work.. He was dropping us at the airport, then heading to work

after check in ( our hand luggage wasn't weighed but the girls in the counter next to us had theirs weighed including their handbags and books!!) we grabbed a coffee and waited for our 7.30 am flight. It was while waiting that I should have turned on international roaming, something I would soon regret not doing!!

Flight was nothing exciting, we had taken some muffins to eat for breakfast when we got hungry- we both can’t eat as soon s we get up in the morning,. Flight seemed to go really quick maybe it was all that chatting in between reading? The guy next to me had moved to the seats across and slept the whole way.

Arrived in Bali right on time, straight through VOA& immigration grabbed our bags ( due to my stress levels hubby checked our bags in online the day before and only told me at afterwards, but it did help a little. Also because I now had a CPAP machine I was unsure if that counted as weight, Have since learned it doesn't! ) We were out and looking for our driver from Poppies within 30 minutes

We were booked into Poppies cottages and found our driver Putu easily, so were on our way. Since my sister said she was coming with us I have been looking forward to the look on her face on the drive from the airport to poppies.. and she didn't disappoint. It was priceless watching her facial expressions at how close some bikes get and how many people and animals they can fit on

I'm glad we had a 'pick up from the hotel as a car cant get al the way down Poppies lane 1

Check in was easy and we were soon shown to Cottage 21, our home for the next 3 night.

The cottages are gorgeous, clean and the semi outside bathroom was lovely

Once you are in this oasis called Poppies the hustle and bustle and tooting of horns from the lane all disappears...At times it seemed we were the only ones here.

The staff are very helpful and always smiling. Each morning the Jakarta paper ( in English ) is left on the porch table with fresh banana’s and a flask of hot tea.

After having a look around , We decided it was time for some lunch, so headed to Poppies restaurant which is just a 20 metre Stoll from the cottages. I already knew what I was having .. the chicken satays , it was as delicious as always! Sylvia got the Beef satays and both had the world famous Pina colada, OMG that is sooo yum!!

After lunch we went to get the usual supplies water, shampoo conditioner etc.. Now I am blaming my stressed state for the following... as we walked to Bemo corner instead of turning right and heading towards Matahari we turned left and kept walking until it really didn't look right... after 1o-15 mins we turned around and eventually ended up where we wanted to be... after stopping for refreshments’ of course.... I wanted to get a sim card as I had forgotten to do international roaming and as yet hadn't contacted our hubbies to say we arrived ok.( still kicking myself) but found out my phone was locked %^&* it :) so we decided to get a sim for my sisters phone which was back at the hotel in the safe!!

after a little shopping- and I mean little!! water toiletries and one pair of shoes.. we headed back via the long way, past Hard rock and walked down from the top of poppies, for a swim at the cottages. we had a stop for refreshments at the Sand bar ( who serve icy cold Bintangs)

Months ago I made an appointment with Santai day Spa at 8 pm I had chosen package 4 which was Balinese Massage Body Scrub and Facial Approx 2.5 hrs. for a grand total of AUD $27.00 We headed to Seminyak around 6 is as I had no idea where I was going, plus we needed to change some money and have a refreshment :)

We also needed to get a new sim card. We asked a guy in Circle k and he didn't have any but pointed us in the direction of someone that would. He pointed to the other side of the road and said look for sunglasses...( we all know how many stall sell bloody sunglasses!! ) well we walked up and down and nothing. We stopped and asked a guy at another stall and he lead us to his sister who sold them.. Yes she also sold sunglasses but wasn't across the road. Took about 20-30 mins to get the thing going but it worked. we then asked for a money changer and had a walk of about 20 mins to find one... We were a little over the walking and wanted a drink but once we seen the money changer and the rate 9900 we were happy.

it was 7.15 by now so we decided to head towards Santai and get a drink before the pampering... handy there was a bar/restraint next door...

The treatment was divine!!!!!Though I will say downstairs looks a lot nicer than upstairs, but it was clean and the treatments were Wonderful

After the treatment, and the early morning start I was ready for bed, Sylvia wanted food.. Santai rang a taxi for us and made sure the driver knew where he was going. we walked up poppies lane and Mexican was ruled out so we settled at the The Victory . we shared French fried. Spring rolls and samosas.and im pretty sure we had another bintang.

then it was a short stroll down to Poppies and bed... I slept like a baby till the room phone rang just before 6 am the next morning.... days 2-6 are coming soon......

Ok so this got a little long... and I have no idea how some people can blog while away, I applaud you~!! hahaha

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
Poppies Restaurant
Poppies Restaurant
2,034 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
Matahari Beach Resort & Spa
Matahari Beach Resort...
610 Reviews
Pemuteran, Indonesia
Hard Rock Hotel Bali
Hard Rock Hotel Bali
6,117 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
The Santai
The Santai
182 Reviews
Kerobokan, Indonesia
Perth
Level Contributor
846 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jbr day 1

Enjoyed your report. Nice to see you chose Poppies we are staying there in Nov :)

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,612 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jbr day 1

Great report - Looking forward to day 2.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,733 posts
1,760 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jbr day 1

Enjoyed reading your TR... & thanks for sharing !

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
307 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jbr day 1

Destiny Poppies is just Perfect I am sure you will enjoy it there :)

12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: jbr day 1

Great read - thank you :)

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jbr day 1

Thanks Chelle a great day 1 JBR ... keep posting I am looking forward to reading more.

Cheers Caro

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,252 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jbr day 1

Great report thanks,

Mac

8. Re: jbr day 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 06:20