We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"How much is enough...what are your suggestions?"

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
"How much is enough...what are your suggestions?"

We are travelling to Bali in just over a week, and have an unfortunate turn of events. Sadly, not only is this our last trip for some time but events have arisen which has left us a little shorter on $$$$'s than expected and needed elsewhere. How much could a family of 4 survive off daily for food and a little treat here n there? ( breakfast is sorted, 2xA and 2xC)

Interested in reputable suggestions for family restaurants, places to go etc without compromising on hygiene etc.

Thanks everyone....advice and opinions appreciated.....

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: "How much is enough...what are your suggestions?"

Hi. Not sure what area you are staying in but if you are any where near legian we always go to a resteraunt called totemos. I'm not sure what the street is called but it is not too far back from the beach and is at the seminyak side of legian. All the meals were around $2aud and were fantastic. The place is clean, the staff lovely and service great. Someone else on the forum may be able to give you more exact directions.

Malang, Indonesia
Level Contributor
17 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "How much is enough...what are your suggestions?"

@kelli B : do you mean Warung Totemo? It is same far from kuta beach or legian street. There is a road near Rip curl Legian straight to the beach. The place is near double G tattoos.

@dreaming: there is big diffrence the price between local or western food. But many places in Kuta or Legian mixed the menus. Here the website maybe can help you …hubpages.com/hub/Cheap-eats-Kuta-Bali. Average price in mid-range budget restaurant are round 2-5 ausd per portion, mineral water/soft drinks around 50 ct- 1 ausd. For family w 4 person 'safe' budget is around 50 ausd a day include transportation or other needs. Do you know the term 'Ritstaffel'? Its Indonesian style to dining with his fam. Just ordered 2 or 3 different menus, then combined it on your plate with rice (usually) or potatoes. Its enough for 4-5 person in the same table. Effective to limiting the budget. Regard.

Perth
Level Contributor
818 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "How much is enough...what are your suggestions?"

A lot of the restaraunts down Poppies Lane 1 and 2 are quite cheap for eg treehouse and secret garden to just name two.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "How much is enough...what are your suggestions?"

:) Destiny I was going to suggest the same thing. Mine are all in Poppies 1. You have the small restaurant next to La Walon. We get the American breakfast there for $3.50. Lunch and Dinner either Basil Leaves or Bamboo Corner. $3 to $5. Not including alcohol but at $1.50 to $2 a beer you can really do things on the cheap.

As you have breakfast you could easily do it for $40/day. Also what is nice and I have never been sick is the beach vendors. Yes they look sus but as said never been sick. lunch for $1.

The options are there for you. My only advice with the beach vendors is use the busy ones and make sure everything is cooked in front of you. Again I have never been sick but I know people who have when they pick food out of the bowls.

Also to save costs go to Bintang supermarket and stock up on nibblies plus buy large containers of water and refill your drink bottles.

Edited: 04 September 2013, 23:51
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "How much is enough...what are your suggestions?"

Thanks everyone. Will have a look into the ones already suggested. Would love to hear of a few more if people like Ilab, Snooky, HappyNoodleBoy, Hurcules, UbudPuppy etc are on here...I really value everyones opinions. We are in a position that opinions and recommendations are going to really be valued. As mentioned, we have younger children so still in need of clean and reputable places.

Thanks again to everyone. ...cheers

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "How much is enough...what are your suggestions?"

If you can let us know exactly where you are staying I'm sure you will get more advice. The problem is, anyone can name any place that is 'cheap' (which most of Bali is really), but if it costs you another 100,000rp (just an example) to get there, well then it might not be worth it.

Also, maybe you can give some information on how much you think you can spend per day on food. That will give us an idea as well.

Lastly, don't discount buying things from supermarkets or convenience stores... just things like chips etc. If you have a big brekkie at your hotel, then you or the kids might not need much until dinner time.

Good luck with it :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "How much is enough...what are your suggestions?"

Hi dreamin,

If breakfast is included we found that was enough for us until midafternoon. I took the good old vegemite, a plastic plate and knife from home, and you can buy peanut butter, cheese spread, bread, crackers at the mataharis, Bintang supermarkets. Your room should have a fridge that can fit most stuff. That is an easy quick snack for the kids (and big kids too). Dinner of satay & rice is pretty cheap in smaller warungs and kids usually like that. You can easily manage on Au$50 per day for food & drinks (not including cocktails!)

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "How much is enough...what are your suggestions?"

We're a pensioner couple who visit Bali twice each year for 4-6 weeks. While we're on a tight budget, we never go without, or have to scrimp. That said, we rarely go to expensive restaurants, although we always enjoy a bottle of wine with our meal each evening.

As suggested above, have a snack for lunch, it works for us (and hubby gets the after lunch nap!). We buy bread, cheese, cold meat, tomatoes & fruit & we carry a cheese knife & a small chopping board with us. After a morning out, it's nice to come back to the hotel and relax on the balcony with some food - we also often buy a treat of a cake or ice cream (Magnums @ about $1 do it for me).

You haven't advised where you're staying, but if in Ubud, Pizza Bagus has good cheap food and will deliver to your hotel. We can get a loaf of garlic bread, a huge and yummy salad and a big pizza to share for

well less than $10 & can add a bottle of Plaga wine for another $14.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "How much is enough...what are your suggestions?"

All the above suggestions are good. For a bit of a change go to some of the night markets where you can have some different dishes. The Pasar Malam in Jln Sunset has great murtabak. You do need to say where you are staying as Chazwazza stated as we can then tell you about good cheap eateries in the vicinity. Remember the biggest cost can often be the drinks so tell the kids to go easy on soft drinks and juices and ration your beer and cocktails :)

Perth
Level Contributor
433 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "How much is enough...what are your suggestions?"

You might also be able to do some self-catering if you are looking to save money.

Buy some stuff at Bintang or Carrefour and make your own.