We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kings and queens of bali ¦-(

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
921 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
kings and queens of bali ¦-(

Got back last week, 30th trip since 1992, was one of the best I've done,but why is it that bule( tourists) think because they have a fistfull of rupiah they behave badly and expect the locals to treat them like royalty? Some of the things I've seen and heard on this trip have been disgraceful,disrespectful and cringeworthy! Was near bintang supermarket last week and 4 stunning females were walking towards me,a local invited them into his shop but the language that came out of their mouths would make a hardened sailor blush all this while swilling on bintangs and smoking cigarettes and it wasn't even lunchtime. Another one was a older guy ( who i had seen on previous trips) when his afl team was playing would annoy rival fans and the language that he used in front of women and children who were present showed histotal lack of class. I feel sad and embarrassed for the locals and other tourists when they are subjected to this boorish behavior. And yes my father and i ,my brothers and mates put a few of these people back in their place.would be interested of any recent stories regarding bad behaviour.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kings and queens of bali ¦-(

Totally agree with you.

Bogans - it makes you ashamed of being an aussie.

The resort we have stayed at for the last 12 years is now attracting greater numbers of bogans- and we will not be staying there again - which is a shame - as it was a great resort with awesome staff.

We do tell these rude bogans what we think of there behaivour - but you do have to be aware of your personal safety when you do open your mouth

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kings and queens of bali ¦-(

I have read this term 'Bogan' a lot and can understand the gist but what does it mean really?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kings and queens of bali ¦-(

Loud uncouth person who has no respect for local sensibilities.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kings and queens of bali ¦-(

Thank you. But why does it always refer to Australians?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kings and queens of bali ¦-(

Bogans is just our slang or term for these kind of people and ashamedly, many of then are usually Australian and make a bad name for the rest of us

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kings and queens of bali ¦-(

Bogans in Australia - Chav's in the UK, Rednecks in the USA - each country will have a term for these type of people

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kings and queens of bali ¦-(

I have another phrase I refer to them as bushpigs rather apt I reckon

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
680 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kings and queens of bali ¦-(

I became so offended when a local stall owner in Kuta told me to F--- off once when we were having a friendly negotiation over a watch. I could not believe it and have never had a local speak to me that way.

It was only later that I realised that he is obviously spoken to that way every day by the horrible bogan tourists and thinks its acceptable.

I will never go back to Kuta as long as I live.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: kings and queens of bali ¦-(

I have to agree with you David. We arrived home on wednesday and was totally disgusted with the majorityof aussie behaviour in kuta/legian. This trip we also travelled to gili t and have decided that when we take the kids (teenagers) back again in january we are skipping bali completely and heading straight for lombok/gilis. It is such a shame that it has come to this. Sadly it isnt just the 18 - 25 year olds, its other parents my age (35 - 40+) acting disgraceful with kids in tow!! I am not a prude by any means but I do want to be an example to our kids on how to travel and respect other cultures while overseas. If all you want to do is sit in a bar and write yourself off while acting like an ignorant a@@@@@@@@ - stay home!!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,915 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kings and queens of bali ¦-(

Kelly try staying in other parts of Bali, ie Sanur, Amed, Lovina, Candi Dasa, Ubud and surrounds. They are not like where you stayed.

Unfortunately most of the above behaviour occurs in Kuta/ Legian and surrounds. I take my kids and the older ones now go back on their own and even they don't want to stay in these areas.

The behaviour of some people is disgraceful and disrespectful.