We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

expedia/booking.com - yay or nay?

Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
expedia/booking.com - yay or nay?

Hi guys,

I am just in the middle of booking flights and accommodation for my holiday to bali and have got a good quote on expedia and am considering using them. I have never booked through them before so was just wondering if anyone has and if so, was all done properly with no issues? also, iv been reading some complaints about booking agencies on the internet..has anyone booked though booking.com and had any issues? Im just looking for the cheapest option without anything going wrong.

Thankyou :)

Sydne, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: expedia/booking.com - yay or nay?

Hi there, I have used both and never had any problems, we actually just booked with Bookings.com just yesterday for our trip to Bali next year ...Rest assured you will be fine.. Mind you I always book my own flights and use them for the hotels. But my daugher uses them both for everything

Cheers Leanne

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
807 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: expedia/booking.com - yay or nay?

I use booking sites quite often. Let us know what hotel you are looking at booking and people might be able to help out and point you in the direction of the cheapest way to book it.

Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: expedia/booking.com - yay or nay?

Awesome thank you :)

Just what I wanted to hear. I do use booking.com for hotels all the time, I just wasn't sure being overseas if hotels use it as a way to say it wasn't booked or anything like that. So I'm glad to have a little reassurance.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: expedia/booking.com - yay or nay?

Hi I've used both, and also Agoda. I've never had trouble with hotel bookings although we have had a few problems with our flights through Expedia this time.

We booked in May for flights on virgin in October. Virgin changed our flights a number of times, including changing our return flight to 3 days later. This didn't suit us and we have cancelled it and rebooked on Garuda. Nothing to do with Expedia and sometimes things just happen. Oh well. However, it is Expedia's policy not to refund the return leg until we have taken our first flight! I have spent hours on the phone to consultants in India trying to make headway but no luck. Virgin has confirmed a number of times that this is not their policy and have tried to get Expedia to refund us too but no luck there either. Accordingly, we have been about $1500 out of pocket for 4 months! Hoping the refund goes smoothly when I call them from Bali in a few weeks - eeek.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,744 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: expedia/booking.com - yay or nay?

Yay! Have used both for hotel and flight bookings. With the Expedia flight booking even managed to do an online check in on the airline's website, although sadly couldn't pre-book those plum seats at the back of the plane so you don't get a 5 year old kicking the back of your seat.

Edited: 26 September 2013, 12:26
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: expedia/booking.com - yay or nay?

Thank you everyone, you have made me feel a little better :)

Lozzarini that sounds terrible. Fingers crossed you get your money back! I am considering booking my flights through the airline itself and maybe book hotels through booking.com or expedia so I have a little control incase anything goes wrong. Enjoy your holiday anyway and hopefully you get your refund!

Rachel

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: expedia/booking.com - yay or nay?

I have also booked through booking.com and whilst I do find that their prices can be slightly higher than some websites, I find them reliable and quite good. :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,734 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: expedia/booking.com - yay or nay?

We also use bookings.com,the beauty of it is in most cases you do not have to pay until check in or check out of your hotel.

We have never had a problem.

9. Re: expedia/booking.com - yay or nay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 16:35
Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,946 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: expedia/booking.com - yay or nay?

I use the online booking agents for most of my stays, especially overseas. I use expedia, Agoda, booking.com, wotif, hotel club mainly, however I am always checking prices and policies with each one before deciding who to use. Agoda and booking.com are two that I find usually have the best choice on offer for some destinations overseas i.e. Myanmar, Sri Lanka......