We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Reply From Attractions and Hotels and Homestays?!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
120 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
No Reply From Attractions and Hotels and Homestays?!

I emailed a handful of attractions - white water rafting, paintball, dolphin interaction - and hotels, and homestays, and only received reply from two tour companies, and only one responding in the affirmative. When I replied them promptly I didn't get a response anymore. And I only received replies from two out of over half a dozen companies I contacted.

What is the turnaround time for attractions to respond to emails? How can it take over 24 hours? I am surprised since bookings are their lifeblood and I would imagine they had somebody manning the system at least once a day.

One of the homestays that I emailed did not even email me back. I am worried because I want my trip to go perfectly and if I can't get the bookings of the attractions in order, my vacation is going down the toilet.

Edited: 17 October 2013, 19:53
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Reply From Attractions and Hotels and Homestays?!

That's Bali, a developing third world country :-)

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No Reply From Attractions and Hotels and Homestays?!

Relax, your vacation will not go down the toilet because you don't get an email. All of the tours you want to take can be easily organised when you get there and some homestays may not have easy access to computers. You will find time is not always accurate in Bali and the pace is very relaxed. Allow for things not always going dead to plan:) If one hotel doesn't respond, try another there is no shortage of accommodation.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,894 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Reply From Attractions and Hotels and Homestays?!

most attractions are best to book when you are there, they are usually much cheaper to book when you are in Bali, even a driver can book most things for you. The exception being bali dolphins, that books out months in advance.

It usually takes a couple of days for the smaller homestays to reply. Internet is not like you are used to and things can move in Bali time. The very small establishments are not set up with the most reliable internet at all.

As I have suggested in your other post IF you wish to arrange day trips then contact a well recommended driver who will help put things into perspective for you time wise like your day trips to Uluwatu, Tanah Lot, transfers to Ubud. This will take a lot of stress out of your planning as I know you were unsure in your last post re what to do / see from each area you are staying. Tell them what you want to visit, where you are staying and then help with the planning of your attractions ie white water rafting.

We rarely use tour companies, you don't need to, a good driver will get you where you need to go and also give you flexibility to stop where and when you want for sightseeing, meals.

IF you simply want to do say white water rafting only, it is best done from Ubud where you are going to stay and when you get there book the ticket via the many places on the street offering to do this for you OR let your hotel book it. There are some attractions that offer pick up and drop off so you would not have to have a driver for the entire day.

Why don't you tell us how much you wish to spend per night on accommodation and we suggest some places in each area you wish to stay that are in your budget, well recommended and are in a good location.????

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4,951 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Reply From Attractions and Hotels and Homestays?!

Hi Mrs Koh,

If I'm going to book a tour that is a very busy one & may be booked out when we get to Bali, I start the process 3 months out & once they have responded with a yes ,it is booked .I will then reconfirm a month out (Just to be safe).

But as Linda & Snooks say, most can be booked on arrival & will work out cheaper

Cheers Mac

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
120 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No Reply From Attractions and Hotels and Homestays?!

Thanks guys. My accommodation is all set because I gave up waiting on one hotel and instead chose others and did all my bookings through third party websites like Agoda. I am so relieved that the Elephant Safari Lodge at Taro, Ubud had the last room that I grabbed (they're not the one who didn't reply to my emails).

Only white water rafting got back to me promptly while I received a reply (in the form of a rejection) from the dolphin company two days after I emailed them :( Very disappointed so I tried with the other dolphin company (I see two such companies operating in the TA reviews, please don't tell me they are actually the same company, I might pass out) and haven't receive a reply yet. I find the process very inefficient. It's going back and forth repeatedly and when I try to offer more than one dates it seems that they do not understand.

I didn't get any reply from the paintball company and two homestays and I took the effort to email them when its morning in Bali time. Its probably a cultural thing, I do not know but in the US, emails from companies are responded within the day.

Edited: 17 October 2013, 23:14
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
120 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No Reply From Attractions and Hotels and Homestays?!

Rob06, three months? I'm screwed then. My trip is in middle of December to end December. I thought two months was just about right to book tours.

For very popular tourist destinations I usually book my accommodation 10 weeks and tours 7 weeks before the departure date and for less popular destinations like I'm usually more relaxed.

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No Reply From Attractions and Hotels and Homestays?!

When it comes to responding to emails/faxes/phone calls, Bali is not the USA! Bali operates on jam karet (rubber time), things will be done all in good time. Even 5* hotels do not respond immediately.

Patience in all matters Balinese will make for a more enjoyable holiday!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No Reply From Attractions and Hotels and Homestays?!

It is only the Dolphins that will be booked out 3 months in advance. Everything else on your list is much easier and safer to book when you are there or get your driver to organise it for you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No Reply From Attractions and Hotels and Homestays?!

I'd suggest checking your junk email too if you haven't done so already. I find that a lot of the emails automatically get sent there when the address isn't recognised. I always keep an eye on it when I'm booking my trips. Good luck

sydney
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No Reply From Attractions and Hotels and Homestays?!

It's bali it's a developing country it is still very basic. To save face yes often means a no. In Bali it is true what another person said jam karat rubber time. Mrs koh it's not the USA it's not the UK and it not Australian time it's bali time. Please try and understand this before you even get to bali.