We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visiting Bali

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
1st time visiting Bali

Hello me and my boyfriend are wanting to visit Bali in feb/march 2014 we will be there for 4 nights before going to Singapore, we recently stayed in Thailand and loved it! And was hoping that we would feel the same about Bali! We are a young couple but prefer not to go to Kuta, we like a bit of nightlife but nothing crazy, We don't surf and have seen that Sanur and semiyak is good for non surfers, as we are looking for nice beaches are there any others for non surfers? We will have our hotel in whatever area has the nice beaches,

We want to see some temples and I have seen there's lots of day trips available, do these have to be pre booked before hand or can you find lots of offers once your there?

Is Bali the same as Thailand for street food or is it more like sit down restaurants? And is it expensive ?

Thanks in advance for the help as there's a lot of questions

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time visiting Bali

Sanur or Seminyak are both good locations , Personally I'd head to Seminyak it's a little livelier . Beaches in Bali aren't quiet as good as Thai beaches , but Bali does have some good beaches but they are mainly in the south.

Find a driver while in Bali , you will be asked by many people. Talk to the driver and he will take you where you want to go, its about 500 000 - 600 000 rp for a driver for the day.

Bali does have the odd food cart , but nothing like Thailand , food is a little more expensive but not by much if you find the right places.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,744 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time visiting Bali

Welcome to the forum.

I agree you don't really go to Bali for the beaches. Unless I am snorkling at Talumben, (or surfing and I don't surf lol), I stick to the pools.

The beaches can be dangerous for rips and also can be dirty.

So I would also suggest Seminyak for nightlife if you don't want the busy Kuta.

However the cheapest places to eat are in Kuta, poppies lane 1, and the cut through to poppies lane 2 (gang Ronta) 3 of us can be fed with a drink for around $10 or $12 aussie.

The worst thing you can do is compare a place. Take each country for what it offers :)

Level Contributor
493 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time visiting Bali

OP,

Dont worry on car/driver. You will get alot of offers as you walk along the main street. If you are lucky and happen to mewt one who is poor and desperate for business, you can bargain down to even 300k for a day. Just remember don't take recommendations from anyone to avoid middleman commission, talk to a driver directly.

For food, most cheap food have sit-down. Search for the threads I started on 3 cheap eat in Kuta. The cheapest and best place to eat local rice food (nasi padang) is restaurant Nikmat, full of tourists and locals during lunch hour, just avoid tauhu and spicey items in all such restaurants. In nikmat, a meal of fish, chicken and veggie will cost less than 3 dollars. Dont expect to find as much varieties of food in thailand. For non-local food, walk between the lanes between poppies 1 and 2, they are cheaper than those in the main roads. For a 50000(5 usd)bbq buffet dinner, go near the Bomb Memorial. Always full of tourists, go early.

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time visiting Bali

I have to disagree with the comments in post No.3 in relation to

"Dont worry on car/driver. You will get alot of offers as you walk along the main street. If you are lucky and happen to mewt one who is poor and desperate for business, you can bargain down to even 300k for a day."!!!!

I believe in bargaining, that is the Balinese way, however, the suggestion to take a greedy advantage of a "poor and desperate" person, is, in my opinion, despicable!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
883 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time visiting Bali

You'll find Bali quite different to Thailand. Both places have their own beauty, excitement, joys and pitfalls.

The Thai beaches are much nicer visually, that's true but the lively nature and activities of the beaches in Bali also make them special. Sitting on the sand at a beach bar in Kuta, Legian, Seminyak watching the sun go down with an ice cold drink is one of life's great experiences.

Also lots of great bars/restaurants overlooking beaches with wonderful views.

You will have endless opportunities to do day trips to visit temples and other great places, and it's generally best just to book when you arrive.

Drivers are available to take you around for a couple of hours, to a full day for very reasonable prices by western standards. 50,000rp is the going rate ($50) so arguing or heavy bartering for a price that is anything less is really an insult.

I've been to Thailand and Bali a number of times, but I keep favouring Bali - something about the people and the general ambiance.

I'm sure you'll love it.

Finally, with the utmost respect to the author of post #3, best if you ignore any of his/her recommendations ,- you will just end up confused.

Enjoy!

Edited: 03 November 2013, 06:52
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time visiting Bali

Thailand is clean Bali, and the beaches have waves and no tourist street food but you can find plenty of cheap place to eat if that's what you want personally I'd spent a little more and go to a place with air con and nicer food.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time visiting Bali

Just a correction for a typo in post 5. 500.000rp is $50.

Something to remember when working out a price with a driver is if you pay him a fair price, he will be much less likely to want to take you to his "friends" businesses, where he will pick up huge commissions on anything you spend there. So the day trip will end us being cheaper because you won't have paid for the hidden commissions that these tourist traps add on for the drivers. If everyone paid their driver fairly a lot of these tourist traps would close down because they would be seen for what they are, way overpriced!

Paying a driver a fair rate helps you to have a better and more authentic trip as the good driver won't be feeling jipped or taken advantage of and will happily take you to where you want to go and give you suggestions that aren't solely based on the amount of extra commission he will make to make up for what the unfair customer isn't paying.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
883 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time visiting Bali

Ooops! Thanks Whinnie - apologies for that. Brain going faster than fingers....

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time visiting Bali

LMAO, mine is usually at a stand still, brain that is, lol.

10. Re: 1st time visiting Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2014, 05:17