We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR (long) 29/10 -7/11/13

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
JBR (long) 29/10 -7/11/13

Flew Perth to Bali on Air Asia.. my cheap tickets ($200 Including 25kg luggage) return on their recent sale in September. Stayed at the Febris hotel is Tuban. The flight left Perth at 10am which is a decent time as we arrived around 2.30pm - just in time for check in. They welcomed us with a lovely fresh fruit salad, which we had to gulp down as the luggage boy had stacked all our luggage and was just waiting and watching us with all our luggage ready to go. I enjoyed the hotel, however will probably not go there again, as I prefer the Legian area(much quieter on the streets). It is central and we walked to Discovery, matahari, poppies and up to Krishna's near the airport. I found the hotel was too "Western" for me, and this is not a complaint, I just prefer a more Balinese style hotel. Breakfast was ample and well cooked and they were continually cleaning the tables,floors and topping up the food. The rooms were clean and spacious, air con great . It had been 3yrs since I had been to Bali and there have been heaps of changes to be seen.

Thanks to the recommendations on here, I was able to get my Sim card at rp10,000 rather than rp200,000 as quoted by one shop. Did all the usual shopping at Discovery- bought a lovely handbag for $13 - there were heaps on sale for 70% off. Went to Dianne's fixed price shop and bought shorts & tees. I noticed there are quite a few fixed price shops in the area across the road from her. I also went to a Lia's fixed price shop (which had better prices as well as air con) in a group of shops a little before the new, huge Hypermarket which has opened just near the Rani hotel. This new Lippo Mall is massive, but only the Hypermarket is currently open. Went to Burhan's shop in Denpasar - what a lovely fellow...not quite what I expected. He is very knowledgeable about gold, and very reasonably priced. I took a gold bracelet which I needed 2 links removed - he charged rp100,000 & had it ready in 2 days - polished it up & it looks better than before.

I will definitely go back with all my broken gold and get him to melt and make something for me. While you are there, have a look at the fabric shops on Jalan Sulawesi....soooo cheap and beautiful, I was looking for tassels on a braid (to edge a table runner) and although there were no tassels - the braids and edgings were jewel like and cheap as well- this is paradise for a person that can sew and is creative. We also walked from there to Tiara Dewata shopping centre...past all the flower shops...there are some lovely,wide tree lined streets in Denpasar...It's relatively simple to get around on foot - I had my trusty Lonely Planet guide which has a good map and phrases...so I could get assistance from the locals when I getting around. If I didn't have my 16yo son tagging along, I would have spent a lot more time exploring Denpasar - has a lot of unexpected sites and experiences to offer.

All the places we ate at were great...our favourite was Mozzarella just down the road, however, we ate at the Febris, Garis Garis,All you can eat Brazilian BBQ,Secret Garden restaurant, a few others that I can't remember and had chicken sate(rp10,000 for 10 sticks) & delicous donuts(rp1000 ea) from road side stalls.

Funniest thing we saw one night was a a big tourist bus that turned out of the Dynasty and we noticed a fellow on the roof...we didn't know what for, until we saw him lift all the power lines off the top of the bus with his bare hands.He stayed on the roof while the bus was moving & had to do it a few more times.

This holiday was very relaxing, mainly just chilling in the (back) pool at Febris,eating & having massages...divine.

Just a note about the new terminal, I think the budget airlines to Australia all leave from gate 1, the night we left was a joke.Our flight dropped off the information screens so no one(including the staff)knew which gate to go to & the new terminal is huge or if the flight had been cancelled -they just told us to listen for any announcements - there really isn't anyone that you can go to, to get a definitive answer. We then walked to the area where they check your bags..there were 3 queues...but most of us passengers didn't know which queue to line up in, as there were no signs....so each line was a mix of people to going Perth,Brisbane & Sydney - it really looked like the staff were also confused...Once they checked the hand luggage(and took our water AGAIN - why do they do this - we had our water from outside the airport taken - understandable, but then new water purchased in the departure area was taken as well) we had to sit there for about 45 mins(its the old terminal building) -no aircon & with about 500 or so people - very very hot - then herded onto the Air Asia bus and taken to the plane. Thank you for reading my first JBR

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR (long) 29/10 -7/11/13

And Thank You too Anne for sharing your holiday and writing an excellent first JBR.

Cheers Caro

sydney
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR (long) 29/10 -7/11/13

Yes anne thanks very good.

Edited: 08 November 2013, 05:50
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR (long) 29/10 -7/11/13

Hey Anne! would you be able to tell me the exact location of the fixed price shop you went to?! :D sounds like you had a great trip! xxx

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR (long) 29/10 -7/11/13

Thanks Anne - great read. I love exploring Denpasar as well.

PERTH
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR (long) 29/10 -7/11/13

Great reading, I love this stuff. It has reminded me to make sure I do go into Denpasar again next trip for a look see as It has been years since my last shopping spree into there.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR (long) 29/10 -7/11/13

Yep Denpasar def on the list I think.

Where abouts did you end up getting your sim card please

and I too would like to know the exact location of the set price shop.

Also, is there 2 Krishna's? Is the one you went to on Sunset?

Thankyou so much for your JBR it is great and informative. I am staying down that end for the first time in January so really appreciate all this info.

Edited: 08 November 2013, 07:24
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR (long) 29/10 -7/11/13

Hey Anne,

Thankyou for a great JBR & not long at all!!

Cheers Mac

Melbourne
Level Contributor
840 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR (long) 29/10 -7/11/13

I love seeing the guys move the power lines. Definitely wouldn't pass Oh &s here. Saw the to it for the Nyepi parades. But at least those guys had a long stick... Lol

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR (long) 29/10 -7/11/13

thanks everyone for your kind words. Some answers. I purchased my Sim Card at Supernova...we walked there...turned right out of the Febris then turned right into Jl. Bakungsari (the very 1st real street you come to with a shrine on the corner), walk about 2 blocks then turn right into Jl Raya Kuta - it's about 150 metres on the left - on the corner. There is a little stall within the walls of the supermarket shop. The address for the fixed price shop is Yani & Jesen shop.(sorry I said Lia previously). the address as per their business card is : Side Street in the Front Rani Hotel, Jl Kartika Plaza, Kuta. Phone : 081 337 522 093 or 081 337 843 783..email: yani.shop@gmail.com...they speak good English & don't hassle you. I accidentally found Krishna's on a hotel business card. the address is definitely Jl Raya Kuta. My directions: turn left out of Febris...keep walking until you get to the statue in the roundabout and veer left. Continue walking (it's probably 30 minutes...you will pass the Kuta Water park(there is a sign "Circus" at the front)..keep walking till you get to the traffic lights at Jl Raya Kuta, turn right(there are lots of shady trees which keep you cool before noon)...walk another block & a half and you will see big orange sign saying Krishna. there is a variety of goods to be purchased...packaged food, bead jewellery,lots of souvenirs, some wooden items, body scrubs & creams, perfumed soaps, sarongs, shorts, tops ....heaps of outfits for children...very cheap - its also air conditioned. Allow yourself some time because the queues to pay can take 20 minutes or so...but it was enjoyable browsing and purchasing items.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR (long) 29/10 -7/11/13

one thing I forgot is that we had to check out of Febris at noon, and We went to the airport at 9pm. One morning I took a wander down the streets heading to the airport & popped into hotels to ask their daily rate. Most were around $50 per night, however I found a newish hotel called Gowin Hotel....it's almost opposite the Harris hotel near the airport, it cost Rp 269000 for 1 night(we needed it for 9 hours & Febris were charging $75). It was a small box hotel, spotlessly clean rooms, air con, TV with mostly Indo channels, a decent small toilet/shower room...no fridge or safety box...but as a place to keep our luggage safe and us cool and relaxed & clean...it was just right. We caught a bluebird taxi to the airport within 5 minutes of going outside, which cost Rp15000(with airport toll).