We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at Denpasar airport

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving at Denpasar airport

Hi,

We are off to bali in two weeks. We were there this time last year. When we arrived and lined up to purchase of visas they had people there offering VIP service for $25pp. This basically got the que skipped for you. We politely declined and waited in line for our turn. After this, we then proceeded to the customs que. numerous times an official looking Balinese man approach us and said "family come this way, no que" and pointed to a separate line that the locals used. My question is, was this the VIP guy trying to get us to use his service again or was he genuinely trying to help us. We watched him ask a couple of different groups of people, some people took him up on the offer, others didnt. Thanks

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,069 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving at Denpasar airport

It's possible, if you had young children with you, he was trying to help out, as this did occur from time to time, when things were very busy in the past, but it's hard to say, as it also could have been another VIP company rep, who would have done this for a fee.

Edited: 26 November 2013, 07:47
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving at Denpasar airport

Also possible that once they got you out of the line ,they hit you with a VIP Express fee.

It would be nice if it was the help a family for free option :>))))

Cheers Mac

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving at Denpasar airport

Thanks guys! It was so awkward last time because I felt rude saying no and if he was genuinely trying to help us that would have looked so rude!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,069 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving at Denpasar airport

If it does happen again, just ask if there's a fee...that's a reasonable question.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,278 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving at Denpasar airport

Maybe have a plan. Like you say yeah ok and start heading away and one of you hang back in the line till it looks like he is just directing you rather that tanking you there.

When we were coming home, the first time hubby and I went on our own (we have 4 kids), they announced first people boarding will be elderly and people with 4 children!!! Only time I have heard that though so perhaps different people do it. I would be wary too and feel funny knocking it back if it's genuine.

6. Re: Arriving at Denpasar airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:17