We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Graduating college!

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Graduating college!

Hey all!

So at the end of May I'll be graduating college and I really want to go on a trip afterwards.

I've done some travelling and from what I've found, I'm not a fan of cities...I'm from NY so when I was in Paris, I just felt as though it was vintage Manhattan. Same with Milan. I also am not a fan of museums and churches *gasp*

I've never been anywhere in Asia, but a friend of mine recommended Bali to me.

I love beaches, I love adventure, and I love culture. I want to FEEL like I am somewhere else.

What is your opinion or suggestions for Bali or my travels in general? Is the trip expensive (flights aside)? What region is the best to go to? What are some things to do? How long should i go for (if I go)?

Thanks so much!

Denpasar, Bali...
Level Contributor
251 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Graduating college!

Hmmmmm, after graduate better you take minimum one week in Bali or more, if you take 2 or 3 days only the flights is kinda expensive from NY back and forth. hehehehe

Well, I think you should try Bali and feel it the experience by your self and yes Bali is totally different with NY, Manhattan, Paris or Milan.

Maybe if you come here better stay in Seminyak and for one day go to Kuta to see what Kuta has for you. Seminyak is my fav places, good restaurant great bars and clubs and maybe you can also staying in Ubud for few days :)

There are lots of things that you can do like EATING, tours, visit temple, beach, watersport, massage, and many moreeeeeeeee..

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Graduating college!

Hi Gianna,

I would recommend a minimum of 2 weeks if you can manage that. The length of the flights for you will be a killer and it will take you a good couple of days to adjust and get over the jet lag.

Bali can be as expensive or cheap as you want it to be. Accommodations ranges from $20/night to $1,000's/night.

The same with meals $2 -$100.

If you can give us an idea of your budget we can help you further.

If you can manage 2 weeks you could easily have 3 bases and really see what the island has to offer and not just the southern, very developed areas.

What you are describing is Bali but you do have to make an effort to get out of Kuta/ Seminyak etc. I think if you only saw these southern, very busy very developed and very touristy areas you will leave disappointed.

Places like Amed, where you can see local life going on around you. Ubud, but not central Ubud, stay out a bit in one of the small surrounding villages amongst the rice fields.

Two weeks would give you heaps of time to really explore and get off the beaten path and get your fill of culture and adventure.

Have a look at the Top Questions about Bali section on the right side of this page for some ideas of what is available.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Graduating college!

Hi!

Yeah, i'd definitely be staying for at least two weeks. I want to have more of an "experience" rather than just a simple vacation or getaway, that makes any sense. haha

I definitely want to experience the "spiritual" side of Bali, if you have any suggestions. At the same time, I'm a 21 year old kid, so I want to go somewhere with some action...going out, adventures, etc.

I'm so much more hesitant coming here...it just seems like another planet compared to Europe (mainly because of distance, like I said I'm from NY). And I don't know anyone firsthand that's been to Bali before, so that's also a little discouraging haha.

I posted in the Barcelona forum, because a lot of people I talk to keep recommending Barca to me. However, I'm not totally sure that's what I'm looking to get out of this trip. My other idea was an Italy/Greece thing, but again I feel like Europe isn't necessarily a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

I don't really know what I'm expecting of Bali, or even if it's the right place. Like I said, I want to truly feel like i'm somewhere else, learn new things, have a blast, go on adventures, etc etc.

Please help meeee

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Graduating college!

As for my budget...it's not the largest, seeing as I'm just getting out of college. But there's definitely room to "splurge" here and there I suppose.

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Graduating college!

Hi Gianna!

Have you looked at the "Top Questions about Bali" on the right hand side of the forum page? The one titled "Things to do in Bali" is full of knowledge about some of the adventures you can undertake in Bali!

From white water rafting, elephant riding, water sports, scuba diving, bike riding, ATV rides, surfing, golf, (guess that is not an "adventure" more of a "challenge", treetop adventures etc.

There are many temples and iconic places to visit in Bali, hiring a driver for a day to take you where you want to visit is great to get around in comfort and enjoy the scenery on the way!

I have travelled solo to Bali and have always felt safe.

Do have a look and see if any of the recommendations are tempting!!

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Graduating college!

Yes, I just checked it out!

How long would you all recommend staying in each region?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,012 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Graduating college!

Bali has a lot to offer and you can easily fill in a few weeks there. Getting around is easy with plenty of drivers (cheap) and local taxis for shorter trips. Do lots more research, go over old forum posts, read as much as you can. Kuta, Legian, Seminyak, Tuban are all busy touristy places with night clubs, loads of shopping and lots of hawkers on the beach, given what you have asked for you will only want a couple of days here or skip this area.

Look at Ubud, Amed, Sanur, Candi Dasa to get you started. Remember that you can also get to Nusa Lembongan for a couple of nights or go a bit further away to The Gili Islands / Lombok and include this in your plans.

Ubud has no beach but is a great place for a cultural insight into Bali and a good area to do day trips. Amed is great for snorkelling / diving, A few nights there may be enough for you as there is not a lot to stroll to, it is still rather undeveloped here compared to the south. Sanur has a relaxing feel, yet ample restaurants, cheap spas, bike riding, water sports and you won't get bored here. It is only a 20 + minute drive to Kuta and surrounds for a day trip and you can return in the evening to a more peaceful area. Candi Dasa is a small coastal village and a favourite for some people. You could do as an example Ubud, Amed, Candi Dasa or Nusa Lembongan and finish in Sanur. Easily doable in 3 weeks. Otherwise skip Candi and NL and go to the Gilis and then back to Sanur. This is just an example to give you something to research.

8. Re: Graduating college!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 06:18