We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driver

Belgium
4 posts
Save Topic
driver

Hello

I've contacted Dean as a driver but he is fully booked for august and september.

He recommanded me his co-driver Putu (Ardana).

Does someone has experience with him ? He charges 400.000Rp, the same as Dean.

thx a lot

Jan

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driver

I've also got more driver questions.

Putu Nastra's phone number is no longer in service.

Since I won't be staying in Ubud, I decided against calling Nyoman.

Dean has recommended Putu Webee. And I've gotten responses from Edy and Wayan Merta. But the prices seem quite a bit higher than have been suggested here.

I've also asked what kind of vehicles they drive and have found the same vehicles on a car rental site. If the car is more expensive to rent, then I know it's a nicer vehicle.

Wayan claims to have a brand new higher end SUV and is asking 450,000. Edy has a 2 year old lower end vehicle and he wants 400,000. Dean is asking 400,000 and won't specify what the vehicle is, other than it has A/C.

I'm getting the feeling that these guys assume I haven't done any research at all and are trying to take advantage of me. Or are these starting prices for negotiation?

Or is it like the article my husband found that suggested that since tourism is down, service providers are raising their prices to keep their income the same with fewer customers?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driver

I know petrol has gone up buy I think the prices for drivers is ridiculous.

400.000 is nearly $60AUD.

That's a months wages for a labourer in Bali. I really don't know how they have been getting away with it. Well I do- people pay it.

I would not pay 450.000

Try Ketut. He is a driver my friend uses often. I met him last week. He speaks very good English. Lovely guy. If you are interested in visiting an Orphanage he can take you to one which is in great need of assistance. You can take clothes etc as people often take empty bags to Baly (so sad).

His Web addy is www.bestbalidriver.com Click on next.

Tek
Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
28 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driver

Two years ago the going rate for an SUV type vehicle was $50.00 for the entire day--sunrise until you wanted to go to bed. My sense of social justice says it is a fair wage.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driver

I know that's cheap for us. That is not the point I am making. The point is someone works 6 days a week 10 hours a day for a month and gets a little more than that.

Same as the beach massages. They want 50.000 for a one hour massage when most peiople in Bali wouldn't earn one fifth of that for a 10 hour day.

Just pointing out the inconsistencies tourism has bought to Bali.

Then people complain about the hawkers etc. Can't blame them for going for the good money.

Often the drivers olnly driuve for a boss. Many would get less than a 10th of what you are paying.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driver

Hi Amber1,

When dialing from overseas, Putu Nastra's number is :

+628164708497

Please let me/us know if that's the number (that's no longer in use) that you're talking about!

Thanks.

FYI, I have met Putu Weebee, but I haven't met Putu Ardana, so sorry, Jan, I can't help you there.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driver

Hi Amber1 again,

I just got a text message from Putu Nastra. The phone's working fine. He's in the north of Bali, spo he says that there sometimes may not be any reception there...? Anyway, I'm also in Singapore, which is nearer Bali than Canada, so it'll be interesting to see if you can reach him from there or not - I sometimes have problems with the connection with my friend's cell phone in the US....Sometimes instant messaging works just fine, sometimes the text message comes very delayed.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driver

I know that, having just returned from Bali on Monday, Dean's car is only 7 months old and is very comfortable. He drove 5 adults around very comfortably, with room to spare.

I've found that the price quoted is THE price. THere is no bargaining. THis price includes fuel, parking (there are parking fees everywhere in Bali), "road taxes" and any other expences that may crop up (bribes for police).

While we complain about the rise in fuel prices here, in Bali the price of fuel has more than doubled in the last 12 months. We couldn't believe it had risen so much.

Please don't forget that these drivers have a lot more expenses than you first think. They have to make the payments on their vehicles, whether they have passengers or not. Because their vehicle is their livelyhood they also have to be kept running properly. Every day their car is off the road is income lost.

While I appreciate your point Catalyst, I personally do not begrudge paying this price for a good, reliable and above all, safe, driver in Bali. There is no way in the world I would consider driving myself on that island! And if that driver is as knowledgeable and personalble as Dean is, then that's a bonus as well.

I personally know how much Dean fretted and worried about increasing his price. Believe me he did not take that step lightly.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driver

Jade, I called about a week or 2 ago. I had one of your posts open and dialed from that. I was dialing from my computer so the number stayed up after I dialed so I could verify that I had dialed the right number. I also checked it against a couple of your other posts to make sure it wasn't a typo in the one post. I got a woman's voice saying something in a language I don't recognize followed by the same woman saying "This number is not in service" in thickly accented English.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driver

Whinnie, Dean himself is booked. He's recommending a friend, so it wouldn't be his vehicle.

If this is the price, then this is the price. I was just a little concerned because A) the prices mentioned on here, even since the fuel price increase, have not been so high, and B) it has been mentioned that Dean is higher priced than most, and the other 2 guys are the same or higher.

Dean specifically sent me links to Trip Advisor suggesting I come here for recommendations for him. It was probably intended to be helpful, but it makes the assumption that I haven't already been here. And I wondered if the prices were set using the same assumption.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driver

Whinnie, Dean himself is booked. He's recommending a friend, so it wouldn't be his vehicle.

If this is the price, then this is the price. I was just a little concerned because A) the prices mentioned on here, even since the fuel price increase, have not been so high, and B) it has been mentioned that Dean is higher priced than most, and the other 2 guys are the same or higher.

Dean specifically sent me links to Trip Advisor suggesting I come here for recommendations for him. It was probably intended to be helpful, but it makes the assumption that I haven't already been here. And I wondered if the prices were set using the same assumption.