We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My 12 year old is sick with Bali Belly

Melbourne
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
My 12 year old is sick with Bali Belly

Currently on day 5 of our 10 night stay at the Novotel Nusa Dua. My 12 year old started with a sore stomach yesterday which proceeded to diarrhoea and now is vomiting as well. Ive been giving her gastrostop as well as buscopan for the cramps which are not helping. She wont eat and it seems that everytime she has a little to drink it come back up or out. We haven't eaten anywhere outside, only in the hotel and Im appalled that this has happened. Any advice on what I can do to help her please and I was wondering if I should maybe move hotels?? I have my 75 year old mom with me as well and it would be disastrous if she was to fall sick as well.

Thanks

Canning Vale W.Aust
Level Contributor
238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My 12 year old is sick with Bali Belly

Hotel will ring for a house doctor

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
921 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My 12 year old is sick with Bali Belly

Sorry to hear about your daughter ¦( my wife who is an rn reckons get a dr out to her asap, keep up water or hydrolite type drinks, good luck

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My 12 year old is sick with Bali Belly

Get a doctor she needs an injection - try and keep the fluids up - flat lemonade as the sugar will give her energy

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My 12 year old is sick with Bali Belly

Get a doctor she needs an injection - try and keep the fluids up - flat lemonade as the sugar will give her energy. Make sure you all wash your hands regularly

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My 12 year old is sick with Bali Belly

Ask the hotel to call a doctor to visit her. He will give her the correct medication that she needs. I often suffer from the same thing and never hesitate now to call a Doctor - they know how to treat Bali Belly and she will recover much quicker. She will need something like Hydrolyte to drink and don't worry if she doesn't eat for a bit as fluids are more important. Pocari Sweat found in any of the Circle K stores or supermarkets is also good.

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My 12 year old is sick with Bali Belly

yes, ask the hotel to get a doctor for her. In the meantime, try to keep her well hydrated, alternating bottled water with an isotonic drink such as Pocari Sweat. Even if she throws it up, a little will be absorbed by her. The gastrostop will stop or slow down her diahorrea, but that will mean she's keeping the belly bug inside her, rather than evacuating it.

She may not have got this from food at the hotel - as an example, she may have accidently ingested tap water in the shower or forgotten not to wash her toothbrush under the tap. Or she may have handled money, which is often filthy and touched her mouth or eaten without sanitizing her hands. She may have even ingested water from the swimming pool....the cause could any of many dozens of things.

In the meantime, anyone coming into contact with your daughter should be vigilant about hygiene, always washing hands and using hand sanitizer.

I hope she soon feels better.

Yarra Valley...
Level Contributor
512 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My 12 year old is sick with Bali Belly

Sorry to hear your daughter is unwell, but I wouldn't blame the hotel , it is an occupational hazard of being in Bali usually caused by accidentally ingesting pool or tap water Just follow usual hygiene precautions and agree with others, get a Doctor.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: My 12 year old is sick with Bali Belly

Def keep giving sips of water , even if coming up ..... bug needs to get out ! If she doesnt improve after a few vommits / motions - would get a doctor to hotel. My niece had to have an injection 1 year and bounced back quick. When her appetite returns , just ease into it ....lots water , dry toast & steamed rice

Senggigi, Indonesia
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My 12 year old is sick with Bali Belly

Get 2 yellow coconuts, drink the water from one, eat a green banana, eat the flesh from the coconut.

Repeat with the second coconut and banana in about 4 hours.

Works! This is what the Indonesians do to stop Bali Belly.

Sounds crazy right? They also use this in Brazil, Ecuador, Chile, etc etc

I have used it a couple of times when nothing else works.

Yarra Valley...
Level Contributor
512 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My 12 year old is sick with Bali Belly

Snapped me cb images.