We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange over Christmas & New Year

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
883 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange over Christmas & New Year

I've read today that Banks in Bali close from December 26 until January 2, possibly impacting on exchange rates through that period resulting in a lower rate.

Does anyone know if this is fact or fiction? If true, and the reduced rate is substantial, then travellers arriving in the next couple of days (including me!) may need to consider exchanging more money before the rates reduce.

Anyone have any knowledge of this situation either now, or in previous holiday periods?

Thanks in advance

Edited: 23 December 2013, 10:50
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange over Christmas & New Year

I have heard of this on the last few Christmas's I have spent in Bali.I really didnt notice any significant changes.At the moment you can get 1Au to 10750 Rupiya.

London
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange over Christmas & New Year

I wouldn't worry too much. The rupiah is unlikely to make any significant gains in the near term. There are too many question marks hanging over its economy - a big deficit, entering an election year, effect of the US indicating that it's going to ease back on QE, foreign investors putting the brakes on etc - and these are unlikely to lead to a stronger currency.

Put in perspective of how much the rupiah has lost already this year, I don't think any small movements over the holiday period (or lack of movement) will matter too much.

3. Re: Exchange over Christmas & New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 05:07
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
883 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange over Christmas & New Year

Thanks for the responses.

I'm not "worried" at all, given the terrific exchange rate at the moment, however the report I read mentioned the possibility of a 10-15% drop during the time of the bank closures.

While it's not a game changer, it may have an impact on fellow travellers spending plans and budgets. If that were to be the case, then the option of being prepared for this possibility is a good one

Thanks again - "D"eparture day at last!

5. Re: Exchange over Christmas & New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2014, 06:17