We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need your advice please!

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
I need your advice please!

Hello,

My husband and I will be spending 3 nights in Bali during off season (October,2014), as a side trip from Hong Kong. We arrived at 6:30 pm on our 1st day, and our flight departs at noon on our last day. I'm debating if we should stay 1) 1 night in Kuta and 2 nights in Nusa Dua or 2) 1 night in Kuta. 2 nights in Ubud or 3) stay 3 nights in one place, but which would be a good base? We are not beach people and would like to experience the culture, go to a Balinese dance show and try local foods.

Based on our very short time, and consideration for traffic what do you think is best or better plan? We do intend to hire a private car & driver. Could you also please include in your reply approx. travel time from airport, and between KUTA-NUSA DUA-UBUD. BTW, I like to plan in advance to have more choices and find better price.

Thank you so much in advance.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,485 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need your advice please!

I am a bit biased towards Ubud, but in fact since you are not beach people why not spend at least 2 if not all 3 of your nights in Ubud? It ticks all your boxes...temples, dance performances every night at one of several locations spread around the area, great variety of Indonesian, Balinese and fushion/western food, close to many of the iimportant agricultural/rice sites, and Ubud is also considered to be at the heart of cultural Bali anyway. It's also good value for small boutique hotels with large gardens and wonderful service.

Ubud is about 90 minutes from the airport, bout 60 minutes from Kuta and to get all the way to the Nusa Dua area I usually budget 2 hours. (Ubud is more towards the central island...Nusa Dua is way on a peninsular area on the other side of the airport from everywhere else on the island.

Another option would be to base yourself in Ubud for 2 nights and your last night in Sanur.

sydney
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need your advice please!

I agree go to ubud you wont be disappointed. For such a short stay in beautiful bali its a good base for getting out and about and seeing some of the real bali

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,833 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need your advice please!

Another tick for Ubud.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need your advice please!

I also agree with UBUD . Reasonably central with good access everywhere. If I changed locations , it would only be once & closer to the Airport.

Cheers Mac

Mt Martha, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I need your advice please!

Definitely agree with Ubud. Why use such a short time travelling between places. I have stayed in Ubud many times and have loved it. If you were beach people I would suggest Sanur......then again I am biased.

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need your advice please!

Thank you all for your reply! It looks like UBUD won the vote.

We were considering staying for 2 nights at St. Regis to celebrate our 37th wedding anniversary, and experience a very luxurious hotel...at least once in our lifetime. Any suggestions for a comparable place?

Wishing you ALL the best in the coming New Year.

Cheers,

Lena

Hepburn Springs...
Level Contributor
729 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I need your advice please!

For a special celebration , consider The Chedi Club Ubud, simply wonderful, read the reviews, they tell it all

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,485 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I need your advice please!

Congrats on your 37th! Personally, I find the St. Regis to be a large concrete block of a hotel, although they do have a good Sunday brunch.

For true luxury in Ubud look at the Como Shambala, www.comohotels.com/comoshambhalaestate…

Or their sister hotel the Uma, about 20 minutes closer to downtown Ubud (2 kilometers from the town center) .

Or the Maya: http://www.mayaubud.com/

Or the Komaneka Bisma: www.komaneka.com/categories.php?cPath=1

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I need your advice please!

Dear UbudPuppy,

I appreciate your greetings and thank you for your recommendations. I will definitely look into everyone of them.

Many thanks for taking the time to help us out.

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I need your advice please!

Hello Hepspring,

I'll look into your recommendation and read the reviews. Thank you very much.

Lena