We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advantage/Disadvantage of taking an 18mo boy.

Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advantage/Disadvantage of taking an 18mo boy.

My partner, my son Tyler and I are going to Bali in May for 11 nights. We have been many times but haven't taken Tyler with us. I'm wanting to know if anyone has had any stress free holidays with a 1.5yr old. We are flying virgin and staying at Legian Paradiso. Any advise would be great as we are so undecided whether we take him or not, thanks.

Yarra Valley...
Level Contributor
512 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advantage/Disadvantage of taking an 18mo boy.

Hi, eleven nights is a long time. Only you know the answer to this. I see lots of people having a great time with toddlers. There has been some good advice offered in the Top questions listed at right. Balinese adore children and you can get a nanny so that you can spend quality time with your partner.

Just look through the forum to get more information.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advantage/Disadvantage of taking an 18mo boy.

I guess the big question would be would you have a good time with him there? Have you got someone to look after him at home that you trust?

We once took an 13 month old to England as I had the guilts about leaving her. In hindsight we would have all have a better time had we of left her at home.

Only you can decide this question.

Would I personally take a baby to baby no. The food for my toddlers would have been an issue.

Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advantage/Disadvantage of taking an 18mo boy.

11 night is long :/ I can only use trip advisor on my phone so don't have access to more info.

If he doesn't come he will be staying with his grandparents who regularly look after him when I work. I guess we would have fun but more concerned I wouldn't enjoy it as I would be constantly worrying and keeping an eye on him. As for the flight, the reviews I've read about virgin with young children has put me off.

Ii guess what I'm after is if anyone has or hasn't taken a toddler and survived :/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
855 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advantage/Disadvantage of taking an 18mo boy.

Tough question to ask ...... Lots of the young parents with really young kids look like they struggle.... The flight is the least of your problems.

Getting around the narrow streets, lots of traffic, would be had work with a pram. Food issues, heat......wow.

We've spoken about this a bit over the last few weeks, especially seeing families struggling through rain, traffic etc. Personally I wouldn't do it.

But ultimately the decision is yours to make. Is the holiday for you and your partner or the three of you? If you want to enjoy yourselves - all three of you, maybe think a bit more about what you're really after. If you can't do it with him, or without him maybe put it off altogether for a while until he is more self sufficient.

Good luck with this quandary.

Yarra Valley...
Level Contributor
512 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advantage/Disadvantage of taking an 18mo boy.

Yes, 3 children from 18 months to 6. We survived and now have great stories to share. My youngest stepdaughter (the 18 month old) now travels every year to Bali with her 2 children, now 3 and 5 and has the best time.

There were times I could have slashed my wrists, on plane etc. This was in the 70's by the way, when things were a bit rougher, but in hindsight have best photos and memories.

Having grandparents to look after Tyler is a big plus. I also note that you work, so a break might be very nice, just a thought, maybe grandparents might enjoy coming also? No, understand that also.

Truly, you will survive but it is totally up to you.

Now for the leave the kids at home brigade to give advice.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
752 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advantage/Disadvantage of taking an 18mo boy.

I think the main disadvantage of taking him would be that you'd have an 18-month old on your holiday.

But seriously, it could be fine if you're happy to go somewhere quiet like Sanur, use nannies so you can go out and/or spend lots of time at the hotel.

If I were you I'd go for a week and leave him at home. When you have small children even a short holiday away from them feels like a really decent break. But when you have small children just going to the toilet on your own feels like a holiday!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,743 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advantage/Disadvantage of taking an 18mo boy.

I have travelled with all of my children overseas numerous times, most of my family have grown up but we still have one younger child who has travelled with us on every trip since a small baby. We enjoy taking her and have always gone well prepared for the flight and holiday. Over the years she has loved travelling and enjoys various destinations. Personally I find Sanur a much better option when you have young kids, the beach is safer, has shady trees, no roads to cross if you stay beach front, easy to push a stroller along the footpaths and you can even hire pushbikes with a child carrier. I always found I needed eyes in the back of my head when / if we stayed in the busier areas, it was hard to get around on the footpaths and the beach was not as safe.

My grandmother always said "when you holiday with children you always take your work with you" and she was right, you do still have to look after them in every way..... So IF you want a relaxed holiday for just the two of you then you may wish to reconsider taking your child. IF you don't mind watching him and would not be happy to hire a nanny to accompany you and help look after him then I am sure you will still enjoy the trip. I have taken 5 children on my own numerous times overseas and still had a great time. Do what you feel is best for you. I have written an article re travelling with children you can read it by clicking on the link on the right hand side of this page.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advantage/Disadvantage of taking an 18mo boy.

I stressed the first time I left my baby at home years ago that I might worry about them. The amount of time worrying was short and sweet and then I got on with my holiday. Best decision I ever made to go with out them. I too look at others and think to myself, boy, that is not a holiday. Some people have to take the kids with them but if you don't I personally would take that option.

I actually love going with my kids now they are older. Other friends can't wait till the day they don't take their kids but I dread the day that happens as we have so much fun now.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advantage/Disadvantage of taking an 18mo boy.

As long as your toddler is happy to ride in a stroller I don't see any issues :)

We took our son at 11 months and then we took our son at 3 yrs and daughter 15 months and had a great time!

The only downfall is that you won't be able to stay out late at night unless bubs is happy to sleep in the stroller - and no noisy pubs ;)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
217 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advantage/Disadvantage of taking an 18mo boy.

personally, I would wait until he's a bit older to take him with me......I imagine it would be quite stressful, and not really relaxing, and at 18months he would not really be able to remember the holiday or have a good time.